surges while accelerating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hybridtech

a couple of weeks ago I finally put my rims back on and I forgot how rough it is when you hit one of those Texas Tittys or what ever you call those big round bumps they stick in the road to piss you off. At my work they use them as speed bumps and I didnt slow down enough and hit one and put a bubble on the side of the tire. A few days ago I took off fast and the car started surging when I accelerated. I thought it was the tire so I bought a new one and had the car aligned. Still does it. When I'm coasting the car does not pull and the steering wheel doesnt feel like it shakes when accelerating, but the whole car shakes. A friend told me it could be a warped flywheel or the clutch bearing is loose. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by hybridtech@Jan 1 2003, 10:19 AM
When I'm coasting the car does not pull and the steering wheel doesnt feel like it shakes when accelerating, but the whole car shakes. A friend told me it could be a warped flywheel or the clutch bearing is loose. Any suggestions?

i doubt the tire/wheel incident has anything to do with it. might just be a loose/worn vacuum hose. if its idling funny, try checking your vaccum hoses for leaks. a leaky vaccum hose would cause surge while accelerating, and the vibration you describemay just be the engine not producing enough torque due to a lack of vacuum pressure.

on the other hand, it could also be a clutch/tranny problem...but that wouldnt cause your car to surge while acceleratiing.

Is the wheel like jerking to one direction then reseting itself?

Like --> <- --> <-

With an overall pull to one side? Gets worse as you accelerate and better at slow or really high speeds?

It idles fine, If it was a bent rim would the tire place notice it when they are balancing them? I might be a bent rim, about six months ago I hit a pothole and it cracked a rim and I slid off the road into a bunch of small trees. I was going about 45 around a turn on a country road. I have alloy, I thought they only crack and chrome rims bend. I also need a new clutch anyways so I'm planning on getting one at the end of Jan. Its kinda hard to explain the car shakes when I accelarate fast but the steering wheel seems fine, it doesnt shake. The car doesnt pull unless I'm at low speeds and try to speed up fast, but I think thats normal it has always done that. I dont have the power steering hooked up cause my stock pulley wouldnt bolt to the engine I put in. I just want to make sure it is not the flywheel cause I dont want to have to drop they tranny later just to change the flywheel.

usually when someone does a clutch, they would have the flywheel machined and tested for zero balance. I would ask around and see if the place you plan to do your clutch would check that during the clutch job, if the car is driveable until the end of Jan......

sounds like a engine problem
if ur getting the shake when u punch it or excelerate hard u need to check the spark plugs and sparke plug wires
(when u check the plug wires check it really good for any white spots (arching mark) ur engine is probly misfiring under load because the plug wire is worn or brakeing down.

I'm planning on changing my clutch myself. My clutch isn't slipping but it doesnt disengage completly when I shift fast. It doesnt happen all the time. Its been doing that for about four months. I'm getting a stage two clutch kit. I have never balanced my flywheel or anybodys flywheel when I changed a clutch :unsure: Yeah I need to check the plugs I haven't changed them in a while and my car burns lean, I'm gonna try to get a fuel pressure regulator to fix that problem this week, or at least next week.
Hopefully that will fix my problems. I'll go try it out and see if that will fix my problems.

Thanks for all the suggestions

This is off the subject: My friend at work is doing a swap he built an ls/crv motor and has a dc 4-2-1 header and he wants to swap me for mine (DC 4-1). Does it sound like a good trade, I forgot which one was better for topend?

WELL I REGARDS TO YOUR SURGING PROBLEMS, IM NOT ENTIRELY SURE BUT, I THINK IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY CAR. THE CAR KINDA FEELS LAGGY AT TIMES, SOMEWHAT LIKE A HESITATION. JUST REPLY BACK AND TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE PROBLEM CUZ IT MIGHT BE THE SAME ONE I'VE GOT.

THANKS

Originally posted by hybridtech@Jan 4 2003, 10:10 AM
This is off the subject: My friend at work is doing a swap he built an ls/crv motor and has a dc 4-2-1 header and he wants to swap me for mine (DC 4-1). Does it sound like a good trade, I forgot which one was better for topend?

the 4-1 is better for topend. that guy who mentioned checking your spark plug wires might have a point. i would check them. see if any came loose.

I got that B&M comando fuel pressure regulator. The car picks up so more speed when vtec kicks in and it doesn't surge anymore. I checked the plugs they looked good the wires should be good, and they were in there good. I think it was just burning too lean. But I have only had it on there for a couple of days and I think I'm gonna keep my header. Thanks for all the help.

check your rear tranny mount, if you hit the bump hard enough you might have screwed it up, that would cause your car to surge. In My old hatch i stripped out the rear tranny mount holes so when i accelerated or decelerated, if i didnt do it just right, the motor would torque back which causes the throttle cable to move which caused the throttle body to move on its own, which gave the motor more gas which... well you get my point, that rear tranny mount supports all the torque of your motor, especially when you drop the clutch, man you cant even imagine how many TPS sensors i went through, woooh buddy

Gary

Originally posted by hybridtech@Jan 7 2003, 12:19 PM
I got that B&M comando fuel pressure regulator. The car picks up so more speed when vtec kicks in and it doesn't surge anymore. I checked the plugs they looked good the wires should be good, and they were in there good. I think it was just burning too lean. But I have only had it on there for a couple of days and I think I'm gonna keep my header. Thanks for all the help.

very hard to belive
if ur car is runing lean enough to surg from runing lean
u will have problems going over 55mph

I think u move the spark plug wire and the one bad one (or two) that has an arking spot is far enought from a ground not to ark

Originally posted by tomtom@Jan 4 2003, 02:16 AM
sounds like a engine problem
if ur getting the shake when u punch it or excelerate hard u need to check the spark plugs and sparke plug wires
(when u check the plug wires check it really good for any white spots (arching mark) ur engine is probly misfiring under load because the plug wire is worn or brakeing down.

I agree, same thing happened to me the engine would be fine intil i got on it and it would surge and miss really bad. I replaced the plugs and wires and its fine now. ;)

Back