Surging idle...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ericL

I have a throttle body (similar to the skunk2 or billet big bore) that does not have an outlet for the IACV valve is there a way to run lines so that it idles normal when warmed up...or do i have to replace the throttle body if i want a normal idle...

no dude it's not hooked up...the iacv on the back of the intake manifold has no lines to go to..

Originally posted by ericL@Sep 6 2005, 01:08 PM
no dude it's not hooked up...the iacv on the back of the intake manifold has no lines to go to..
[post=550186]Quoted post[/post]​

Those are water lines that come off of the bottom of the IACV.. I suppose you might be able to run a "T" connector off of the heater hose...

**EDIT** Even without the hoses, it shouldn't idle that stinkin high...

I got ahold of a helms and looked at how things are hooked up and I just want to check before i do this...

The coolant lines run from the engine to the throttle body out of the tb and to the IACV out of the IACV and to a T in the connecting coolant hose...now unless i'm missing something I can just run the line directly to the IACV (skipping the tb b/c there are no coolant inlets) and everything should work fine...

Also, just so I'm clear the unit on the bottom of a normal throttle body is the fast idle thermo valve right? Cuz whatever that is is not present on my TB...if this is not there would that cause fluctuation?

Originally posted by ericL@Sep 7 2005, 10:09 PM
I got ahold of a helms and looked at how things are hooked up and I just want to check before i do this...

The coolant lines run from the engine to the throttle body out of the tb and to the IACV out of the IACV and to a T in the connecting coolant hose...now unless i'm missing something I can just run the line directly to the IACV (skipping the tb b/c there are no coolant inlets) and everything should work fine...

Also, just so I'm clear the unit on the bottom of a normal throttle body is the fast idle thermo valve right?  Cuz whatever that is is not present on my TB...if this is not there would that cause fluctuation?
[post=551041]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, the valve on the bottom of a stock TB is the fast idle thermo valve. I dont believe it causes idle fluctuation. Just bypass it like you said.

Check the voltage on your TPS sensor... the middle wire should read .5 volts at closed throttle and 4.5 at WOT. I've seen a few cases in which a mis-adjusted TPS sensor causes idle fluctuation.

An open vacuum will just make it idle high, not make it fluctuate.

K, Thanks, I ordered the hoses from honda just cuz there are no effing junkyards in buffalo...should have them tomorrow and put in this weekend, i'll post the results.

Well I hooked everything up, ran it for awhile, the IACV got hot as did the lines BUT the idle still does the same thing...could it be that the IACV is bad? I checked the TPS and the voltages were perfect...

bump..someone has to know...(note: the rpms only bounce once fully warmed up)

Do you have any vacuum hoses that arent connected. My advice would be to recheck the entire system.

Spray carb cleaner around your throttle body, vaccum lines etc. If the idle drops you've found your problem. I would also suggest wiping the carb cleaner off the hoses afterward so it doesnt dry them out.

If it were a vacuum leak wouldn't the idle be messed up all the time and not just once it's warmed up?

Well might be a fuel problem then. The information from the O2 sensor is used after the car warms up, but it wouldnt make it irradic...it would just suck.

Yea, I'm thinking it has to be something with the IACV or the FITV...b/c those depend on engine temp...

Mine has never been clogged, but id think you would use compressed air to clean it out. Just my guess though.

Back