Suspension advice for 91 LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alexfleury

I am keeping my car pretty close to stock, but the rear suspension bushings are shot and at 280K miles I imagine some new shocks are probably needed.

What should I look for that will be equal to or better than the stock shocks and are a good bang for the buck price?

It is a daily driver that sometimes sees just a little bit of "spirited" driving lol

Planing to replace front and rear shocks. Should I just go with some OEM replacement bits?

Thanks
Alex

Neuspeed "sport" springs with KYB AGX shocks gives a nice slightly lower slightly stiffer ride that is still plenty comfy for daily driving but also does excellent for spirited driving

I want to do this as cheap as I can. Will I get at least OEM performance with the KYB GR2 shocks and an ebay spring set?

I'm not building a race car. Just a daily driver.

Thanks for the info. And I will try to plan to spend what I need to get a good handling car.

Alex

youll get at least OEM performance in the handling aspect with your ebay/kyb setup (due to lower center of gravity, and less "give" in the suspension). as far as ride quality, expect the ride quality to go down the toilet with those springs.

if you want the best of both worlds, go with the setup E suggested.

the neuspeed springs can be had for under $200
the KYB shocks can be had for under $400

cheap ass no name generic shit springs on Ebay are exactly that... shit

if you are going to cheap out on your suspension just leave the fucked up shit thats on there... youll be just as well off and you wont have to spend as much

Then I guess that sounds like the best set up. But I really don't want to lower the car, at least not much. I've found a reasonable price on the shocks,, where do I look for the springs?

You probably already are, but I thought I would say, just in case, to make sure you replace the bushings also! Replacing the shocks, without replacing the bushings, won't do much good.

or... you could go with oem type r springs, and tokico shocks... i have that on my dc and it works pretty awesome, and it was reasonably cheap...

If you want a cheaper (but not "cheap") option for the shocks, you can look into Tokico HPs (Tokico "Blues"). They're designed for use with lowering springs, but they aren't adjustable. The AGXs are nice shocks, but if you're just looking for a slight performance upgrade but mostly just replacing your old, worn stuff, then you may not necessarily need adjustability. You can find a package with the HP shocks and Tokico springs that will lower about 1.5" for $350 - $400.

I'd skip the E-Bay cheap-o springs and I'd skip the KYB GR-2s also. The GR-2s are essentially just stock replacements. If you want stock replacements, you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere...

So what is the beat "bang for the buck" replacement for the stock shocks? And how do I know if the 20 year old springs are sagged enough to need replacement?

I Don't want to lower the car. it is low enough already. My old ass can barely climb in and out now :)

Well, the GR-2s might work for you. I'd say just start researching some prices. Look on E-Bay stores and you can find some good deals on suspension packages. Maybe see what's available for stock replacements at a local parts store, then see if you can do better online for the same stuff and also compare it to the GR-2s...

Back