Suspension for the H22?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChicagoHatch

I am swaping an H22 in my Eg, i have springs that lower 3.75, and struts that lower just as much.......now is that good considering the weight of the motor??
Help!!!!!!

That is a HUGE drop. I'd only go with a 2 inch drop. The h22 doesn't weigh that much more than a b18.

btw, shocks and struts aren't interchangeable words; you have shocks. I'd get different springs if I were you, some neuspeed sport or race springs.

i thought that might not be a good idea considering the drop, someone also told me to go with the coil over setup considering i dont want alot of bounce, i want the car ro be stiff as possible...

I usually reccomend neuspeed sport springs, but you want stiffer, so I'd use the race springs, especially with the added weight of that motor. Those will lower your car 2.25" all the way around, which is plenty low for a honda. 3.5" is way too low, you would hardly have any suspension travel left and you would bounce/bang/bottom the suspension all the time. No fun. As far as struts, I've used KYB AGXs in the past and have loved them, they are adjustable, so you can dial them in as firm as you want.

i have the KYB's, got them from TireRack.com.com.....havnt put them on yet but i have heard good things, i have the springs called ( Sprint Spring ) dont know the quality but they have a set that lowers 2.5 and their reasonable at the price so i'll just change the inches.......just dont want a big disapointment with the suspention

Get the Progress springs- they have springs for EGs that have spring rates specifically for H22 swapped cars.

Calesta said:
Get the Progress springs- they have springs for EGs that have spring rates specifically for H22 swapped cars.
Thank you!

And ANYWHERE around 2" drop for that car with that motor is pointless. Do you want ANY sort of performance in the handling department? If you do, lets get serious here ... no more bullshit show car coilovers or rediculous ride heights. For an H22 Hatch, you are dealing with more weight (yes it does weigh more ... enough so that companies are making special spring rates for this swap) so you must address this. It' not the shocks you should be worried about with extremely low ride heights, it's your ball joints, LCAs, bushings, ect ... that take the extra stress.

If you're going for a basic shock/spring setup than some Koni yellow shocks would be a good place to start. Perhaps some GC coilovers would be a good choice as well, but not stock rates .... maybe around 500/400 would be beneficial.

If you wanted to step up to a full coilover (which is sort of pointless for a street car), something like the TEIN SS, or Tanabe equivalent would be choice. Once again though, custom spring rates which both companies offer.

In terms of a ride height, shoot for somewhere around the 1.5" lower than stock mark. This should make achieving an optimal corner weight easier, and stockish camber/caster/toe settings within reach. Then you will enjoy your swap.

:)

Back