Suspension Help for civic 94

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

There's a cheap way to remove the stock springs without a spring compression as long as you're installing drop springs in their place. I haven't had to use a spring compressor in a while.

There's a cheap way to remove the stock springs without a spring compression as long as you're installing drop springs in their place. I haven't had to use a spring compressor in a while.

Ive seen that done before. The outcome wasn't so pretty, especially in his chin/upper lip region. :)

Care to elaborate?

When the strut/spring is removed as an assembly, you need a spring compressor to relieve the pressure on the spring when removing it from the strut. Some people try to be heroes and remove it by hand. This is VERY dangerous.

He pretty much released the bolts holding the spring down with it inbetween his legs. When the tension was released, it overcame his own strength and shot upwards, clipping his chin and tearing skin off his chin from the bone, up to his bottom lip. Pretty nasty stuff right there. Had pictures on an old cell years ago. No longer have em. Im sure you can google for pics of that mess happening to other people. Might even be a video on youtube.

I lay the whole shock/spring assembly on the ground, step on the spring, then zip the top hat off with an impact wrench while blocking in the other end of the shock with a tire. The spring isn't going anywhere, and the shock is shooting away into a barrier that's about.. zero inches away. As long as you don't have to use a spring compressor to get the assembly back together, it's -fairly- safe.

When the strut/spring is removed as an assembly, you need a spring compressor to relieve the pressure on the spring when removing it from the strut. Some people try to be heroes and remove it by hand. This is VERY dangerous.

He pretty much released the bolts holding the spring down with it inbetween his legs. When the tension was released, it overcame his own strength and shot upwards, clipping his chin and tearing skin off his chin from the bone, up to his bottom lip. Pretty nasty stuff right there. Had pictures on an old cell years ago. No longer have em. Im sure you can google for pics of that mess happening to other people. Might even be a video on youtube.

I was actually asking Calesta what his procedure was. I didn't realize there was another page. I probably should have quoted him. Sorry dude, my bad...

But anyway, yeah, I always use the compressors. I've known guys that don't use them, and they haven't gotten hurt yet, but I'd rather just take five extra minutes and do it the right way.

Calesta's way seems like it would be pretty safe though...

Last edited:
It's not really -safe- but it works with minimum risk. Honestly, I think those damn spring compressors that you rent at AutoZone and other shops for $30-45 are just about as dangerous as trying to straight up remove the springs by hand. They can slip if you don't get things lined up JUST right.

Right, yeah. You have to go super slow and make sure both sides stay pretty evenly compressed. Plus, if you do end up having to compress the new spring sometimes it's hard to get the compressor to fit on the coils because they're closer together. Sometimes it's hard to even get them on the stock springs...

Back