Suspension setup

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

korey

I need some advice on if my "desired" suspension setup is even correct. What I want is Skunk 2 Coilovers with Tokico Illumina struts. Now, I dont know jack about suspension, so what I need to know is if this is good, bad, not needed, basically the highs and the lows. I have a '97 civic and JUST want decsent ride height with good hadling. I need suggestions. Thanx.

Do you plan to race this car? If so what kind? Or is this going to be a daily driver? If so i would say just get some nice lowering springs with some agx's and you will be fine.

I'm no expert, but from what i've read, if you're not going to be racing, you don't need coilovers. It'll just be pearls for swine. You can save a lot of money and be no worse off by getting performance springs and shocks.
Ask yourself if you ever really use the adjustability of coilovers.

Adjustability is always nice. I have the Koni yellows that Neuspeed sells (shorter shock) and Neuspeed race springs. I'm glad I have the little bit of adjustability that comes with the Konis since I'll be installing a B16A in the next few weeks. As for the sleeve-type coil-overs, I wouldn't even mess around with them. Even the basic Tein units (non-adjustable damping) are relatively cheap and will make you a lot happier (my shop sells them for $750, as an example.) That's comparable in price to the Tokico/Skunk2 set-up and will perform much better since the coil and shock are matched units.

Brian

Back