1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sw20 1980 Corolla?

Discussion in 'Other Vehicle Discussions' started by Citizen_Insane, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

I have a friend with a 1980 corolla and I REALLY want to turn it into a drift car. It has a pretty good engine/drive train and an ok body, but the clutch is shot. I was wondering how difficult an sw20 swap would be. Have others done it? I am a HUGE n00b when it comes to toyota, I don't know shit! Thanks.

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

I don't know much about drivetrain layouts for Toyotas... but if that's a RWD Corolla, you might have problems. The only SW20 setups I know of are for the MR2, and those are transverse mount mid engine cars. If the SW20 can only use the mid engine transmission, then you're going to have a ton of fun getting it into the Corolla. If the Corolla is FWD, you can probably get it to work.

Why not think about a 4AGE swap?

3. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

Ok, I had no clue. I knew that the sw20 was a mid engine rwd engine, but I thought maybe another tranny would fit it. I'll look into the 4AGE swap. Thanks.

[edit] damn, I looked at these 4AGE swaps, and even the JDM ones don't have much HP. Are there any stock turbo or supercharged toyta engines that would fit in a RWD '80 corolla?[/edit]

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

5. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

why not build an all motor corolla there takumi?? :lol:

6. NissanNiNjA2nd

NissanNiNjA2nd Senior Member

probably because his dad isnt Bunta....

7. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

"SW20" is the body code for the second gen MR2. Those run 3SGE (And 3SGTE) motors.

The AW11 is the first gen MR2, and it has a 4AGE (4AGZE in the supercharged config).

You should know from being just here in Hondaswap that when you do a motor swap, the trans doesn't matter. You'll be moving the 4AGE over, to hell with the trans.

On the darker side, it won't bolt to the Corolla's transmission. You'll need a T5 trans, and the 6.5 inch rear, with a custom axle.

If you instead consider some already RWD cars from Toyota, you'll have the 5MGE / 6MGE / 7MG(T)E engines, with the W58 trans and rears. Then a custom shaft, and you're good to go. The rear is a longer axle (Read: Wider) so you'll need to play with custom offsets to make it look right.

Put a V8, (Preferably a Ford) W50 Celica trans, and then custom shaft for the stock rear. It can't handle more than 250 lbs/ft of torque, but that shouldn't be a problem.

-> Steve

8. EGProject

EGProject YEEEEAAHHHHH

I'd either go with the typical N/A Corolla motors, or go for a built 3SGE - or if you are really ambitious - do some trans research and drop a 3SGTE in there.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted