sw20 1980 Corolla?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Citizen_Insane

I have a friend with a 1980 corolla and I REALLY want to turn it into a drift car. It has a pretty good engine/drive train and an ok body, but the clutch is shot. I was wondering how difficult an sw20 swap would be. Have others done it? I am a HUGE n00b when it comes to toyota, I don't know shit! Thanks.

I don't know much about drivetrain layouts for Toyotas... but if that's a RWD Corolla, you might have problems. The only SW20 setups I know of are for the MR2, and those are transverse mount mid engine cars. If the SW20 can only use the mid engine transmission, then you're going to have a ton of fun getting it into the Corolla. If the Corolla is FWD, you can probably get it to work.

Why not think about a 4AGE swap?

Ok, I had no clue. I knew that the sw20 was a mid engine rwd engine, but I thought maybe another tranny would fit it. I'll look into the 4AGE swap. Thanks.

[edit] damn, I looked at these 4AGE swaps, and even the JDM ones don't have much HP. Are there any stock turbo or supercharged toyta engines that would fit in a RWD '80 corolla?[/edit]

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 11 2004, 03:18 PM
Ok, I had no clue. I knew that the sw20 was a mid engine rwd engine, but I thought maybe another tranny would fit it. I'll look into the 4AGE swap. Thanks.

[edit] damn, I looked at these 4AGE swaps, and even the JDM ones don't have much HP. Are there any stock turbo or supercharged toyta engines that would fit in a RWD '80 corolla?[/edit]

why not build an all motor corolla there takumi?? :lol:

"SW20" is the body code for the second gen MR2. Those run 3SGE (And 3SGTE) motors.

The AW11 is the first gen MR2, and it has a 4AGE (4AGZE in the supercharged config).

You should know from being just here in Hondaswap that when you do a motor swap, the trans doesn't matter. You'll be moving the 4AGE over, to hell with the trans.

On the darker side, it won't bolt to the Corolla's transmission. You'll need a T5 trans, and the 6.5 inch rear, with a custom axle.

If you instead consider some already RWD cars from Toyota, you'll have the 5MGE / 6MGE / 7MG(T)E engines, with the W58 trans and rears. Then a custom shaft, and you're good to go. The rear is a longer axle (Read: Wider) so you'll need to play with custom offsets to make it look right.

Put a V8, (Preferably a Ford) W50 Celica trans, and then custom shaft for the stock rear. It can't handle more than 250 lbs/ft of torque, but that shouldn't be a problem.

-> Steve

I'd either go with the typical N/A Corolla motors, or go for a built 3SGE - or if you are really ambitious - do some trans research and drop a 3SGTE in there.

Back