Swap for my 96 LS (Two Questions)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ZootyS17

Jimmy John's Driver
I want to swap something into my 1996 Integra LS, it has the LS engine/tranny right now, but it runs funny (kind of lags when i shift into first, and isn't very good on gas) and has 200k miles. I was wondering if a b16a JDM engine would be a good candidate, I'm also planning to boost if that makes a difference. I don't want to bother to replace everything in the b18b and a ls/vtec sounds way too hard. So the first question is will this work or should I save up a bit more to get the b18c?

Second question is, will my LS axles or mounts work with the b16 or b18?
This is what's included for both.To include axles mounts and linkage its $500 more..
- Motor
- Hydraulic Tranny (S21, Y21)/(S80, Y80)
- ECU (P30)/(P72)
- Alternator
- Starter
- Clutch
- Flywheel
- Intake Manifold
- Exhaust Manifold
- Fuel Rail
- Injectors
- Distributor
- Engine Harness
- Comes With All Sensors Needed
- LSD Tranny (Optional +$300)

I'm trying to spend as little as possible on my way to 300whp, and any help would be appreciated!

I would only do the B16 if you for sure plan on boosting it. The B16 is a little low on torque; your stock LS motor actually has more, so I'd go with another B18 over the B16 unless it's definitely going to be boosted.

And I don't really understand what's scaring you away from the LS/VTEC. All you'd be doing is putting a VTEC head onto the block you already have. Golden Eagle makes a kit that will have everything you need (head gasket, oil lines, etc.). You'll also need a VTEC ECU, and you'll probably want a different transmission, but I see you're planning on buying those things anyway.

If there's nothing wrong with the LS block, then I'd go the LS VTEC route. Throw a B16 head on that thing and make sure it's built right, and you'll end up with a more powerful motor combination then either of your two other choices.

How much would it cost altogether (about) for the whole ls/vtec setup? And is there anything in the block I should replace, I heard i might need pistons? And how hard is it to find a b16 head?

You will need to replace the rod bolts, oil & water pump on the block if you are concerned about reliability revving the block approx. 1500rpm over what it's built for. Pistons are not necessary. As far as the cost do some research and see what you come up with. All the information is readily available for what you are trying to do.

Back