swap help!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sabi670

I need help!

I read on this site how easy a y8 swap is to do on a y7, so I thought I'd try it out.

got a y8 head and ecu on a y7, running a y7 dizzy. everything hooked up except vtec solenoid. tried to start it, cranks but wont start.

tried using y7ecu but still wont start.

any ideas?

I live way the f out here in the pacific, and no one has any idea how to do this. Shop guys arent any help either, no one really does hondas here yet.

thanks for replying DTEC.

I'm using y8 auto manifold, the ecu is y8 manual, y7 dizzy, using y7 throttle body to keep iacv wiring simple. vtec not hooked up yet. motor turns but wont start.

I just noticed on another thread that if dizzy is not put on w/cyl 1 at TDC it wont start. I'm 95% sure it was, but plan to double check anyway. just need some ideas on what else to check for.

Okay now this is kinda getting to me.

Some other threads say you can use a y7 dizzy with the y8 ecu. Others are saying you need the same model dizzy as ecu.

SO which is it? Id really like to get this mini me going..... :(

yo im did the same swap used 92-95 head and the 88-91 si dis... took me awhile to get it to start.... im not sure how yours is but if you look at the dis that belongs on that head and see where the no1 cyl wire is located and where it would be if it was attached (ie. hold it up next to the one on the head now the way it would bolt up....) and see if the wire is in a different postion... if so you will have to jump them all once clockwise.... thats what i had to do anyway hope that helps man

Please help us better answer your question by providing more details about your setup and/or your problem.

For example, please post the following:
  • car: year, make, model, trim
  • engine / transmission / ecu
  • basic mods list that applies or may apply to your question
  • fuel management, etc, and anything else that may apply to your question.
Also, please specify what is wrong or what you need help with EXACTLY. Doing this will help you get a better answer to your question.

Thanks,
The Moderating Team

Thanks for the suggestion Big Worm..... Im trying to get someone w/ a vtec head over to my house so we could try out that distributor. (there are only 2 vtec civics here so its kinda hard to get someone.) I dont know if your suggestion will work but I'll try it.

Jeff:

-97 civic hatch dx
-d16y7 block, d16y8 head, d16y7 distrbtr, d16y8 automatic manifold,d16y8 manual ecu
-stock d16y8 rail, injectors, regulator
-head ported and polished, crower cam (2nd level cam, I cant remember the numbet right off but its one step up from their lowest level cam for this head.), msd 6al, blaster 2 coil, 8.5mm wires.

Like I said above, my buddy ( a mechanic at a dealership) and I put this head on relatively easily, the engine cranks, but won't start. I checked with my buddy if the car was at TDC when we put the distributor on, and he said it shouldnt mater because the cam slot that the distributor slides into is offset and can only go in one way.
So, EXACTLY what I need help with is ........ What do I need to check to get the car to start? Ive checked the spark, there is fuel going to the fuel rail (it squirted all over when I loosened the nut), double checked all the vacuum lines, checked all the sensor hook ups (vtec pressure switch and solenoid not hooked up yet), tried using the y7 ecu to see if it would start up (no).
-Does this swap really require the y8 distributor to work with the y8 ecu? If so, why wouldnt it start up with the y7 distributor and y7 ecu?

This is probably no big deal to some guys on here, but no one has done this before over here and I not sure I can really rely on anyone here for help on hondas. So ANY help or suggestions are very welcome... Thanks

No you do not need the y8 dtributor, i just did this swap, and the only thing i used off the y8 engine was the vtec head. everything else is off my y7 engine. The distributors are the same the only timt the distributor won't fit is on the 92 95 swap where one of the bolt holes don't line up.
Were the injector wires long enough to, did you have to extend one of them because the y8 plenum is bigger and i'm thinking maybe the 3rd or 4th one might need to be extaneded. And if you did, make sur the connections are good. How does the trotle cable fit. I bet it has to do with your ignition timing, i would Put your pistons at TDC and your cam at TDC also, then try again and see if that is the problem!
When i did my swap we lined everything up to top dead center, then worked from there. theni just swapped the head put EVERYTHING back the way it was and everything was fine.

I wish i new the answer, if i was there i could of helped you out! i don't know if you have a repir manual for your car but you should when doing this kind of work to your car, But here are some troubleshooting steps you can go through:
THIS is for engine rotates but will not start:
1) Fuel tank empty
2) battey discharge
3) Battery terminal connection loose or dorroded
4) Leaking fuel injector, faulty pressure regulator
5) Ignition components DAMP or DAMAGED
6) Worn, faulty or incorrect gapped spark plugs
7) Broke or loose wiring in starter circuit
8) LOOSE DISTRIBUTER is changing ignition timing!!!!

Hope some of this helps and good luck!!!

oh yeah shit I forgot dude make sure your ignition wires are in the right place becasue if they are not it will crank but wo't start, my friend had that problem and went crazy and all it was was the fuckin spark plug wires!

Thanks, I'll go ahead and pull the head off and line everything up again then put it on. Hope it works out, Ill post back when I get it started......

Thanks for all the suggestions and for all your time.....

FINALLY!!!!

Just to update you all, got the mini me swap running! Turned out to be bad injectors. I bought the head swap complete from a wrecked car. I guess it must have been sitting too long or something and the injectors probably rusted up. OR maybe they were just the wrong injectors for my car ( my originals, which I wound up using, were green on the tips while the ones on the swap were red ones).

Anyway, I'm totally psyched and cant wait to get it timed right and let'er rip! I'll be getting the valve clearences set tomorrow (damn they're loud as hell) and hoping everything runs great......

Just want to thank everyone for all your help and suggestions and patience!!! You guys kick ass!!!!!

Back