swap info & questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

southern

ok guys im new to the import world and i am thinking bout getting a 1995 civic coupe and it has no motor. so i was talking to my friend real big honda fan and he said i should get a k20 motor like the newwer civics have i think. but i was wondering what yall id need and if it would be worth doing that swap and all the civics around here have b16 motors and stuff never really see k20 so i want to be different in a way but i still want to be able to beat other cars and keep up with my buddys civic si and i no to do this swap it will be alot of money but like i just dont like following the crowd and stuff . so if yall can get me info and answer the questions i put dow that will be alot of help. and in here ill have more questions soon .

Yes me and my buddy are going to do the swap and hes going to teach me through out the swap and money idk I want it to be a slow build tho I know that

Ok I have a grand now and savings up for the motor what type.of motor mounts do I need and is it going to be a hard swap and do I have to do any cutting to the sub frame and how long should the swap take

If you want b series, research how to do a b18b. Best value and easiest swap. Youre not going to be able to afford a k20. It's about $6k and needs a lot of work to swap in. Save a little more and start searching craigslist and local forums for swaps that are for sale.

ok will do and a b18 is a gsr motor i think but ill research and all of that stuff so ill put together a parts list and if yall could check it and make sure its right

the B18B is from the LS, GS, and RS model integras... it is a 1.8L Dual cam non-VTEC engine

you really have a lot of research and learning to do before you go any further
not knowing what you are walking into is going to end up costing you a lot of money

ok guys im new to the import world and i am thinking bout getting a 1995 civic coupe and it has no motor. so i was talking to my friend real big honda fan and he said i should get a k20 motor like the newwer civics have i think. but i was wondering what yall id need and if it would be worth doing that swap and all the civics around here have b16 motors and stuff never really see k20 so i want to be different in a way but i still want to be able to beat other cars and keep up with my buddys civic si and i no to do this swap it will be alot of money but like i just dont like following the crowd and stuff . so if yall can get me info and answer the questions i put dow that will be alot of help. and in here ill have more questions soon .
Not trying to be mean, but then don't buy a Honda. There are so many running around and modified out the ass because they are easy to work on. Everything has been done. They've been swapped, turboed, supercharged, sprayed, made FR, MR, F-AWD, and plenty of combinations of them all.

You get a Honda because it will be fun and relatively cheap. But standing out definitely isn't its thing.

My buddy is a Honda freak and he's helping me do all of this build and I know lil bit more than yall think just couldn't rember what b series motor was the gsr but I found all the parts I need just got to get them and I understand with a Honda you won't stand out cuz there's a lot of Honda that are built but this would be my first Honda build and I'm learning threw out the process so I have talked with my buddy and he said it will be a good swap and build but I have to put my mind to it and stuff so that's y I want the k20 cuz around where I live I don't see k20 civic a lot so it would be different around here and I want a challgen at the same time but yes this will be my first build and I'm looking forward to it so if you guys got some pointers I should look for while doing this build it will be helpful thanks

well, your buddy is telling you what you should do with your money. if it was his money, he would probably suggest the b18b, same as i did. i told you, the k20 is going to cost at least $6000.

there is nothing new with hondas. not sr20det swaps, not V-8 swaps. nothing. so get that thought out of your mind. plus you are young, inexperienced and have a limited budget.

if i was you, i would get some decent wheels, lower it, and put in a good stereo and call it a day.

^^^I agree.

K20A is a sweet ass swap but very pricey (I say $6000 is the low side of it). With simple bolt on's and a tune, It will put you in the low 13's in the 1/4 mile on street tires (with a good driver).
For a K20 swap....You need:
a mount kit
engine harness for the K20 swap in your 95 Civic
Shift Linkage (not sure if there's a company that makes a kit so you don't have to cut your shifter access hole)
$$ Hondata K-Pro $$(from my knowledge, no one makes a jumper harness so you can run a OBD2 ECU in a OBD1 Chassis.....even with the immobilizer bi-passed)
Custom axles or RSX base axles with the inners swapped.
This is all I can think of now but I probably missed something.

You can get a GSR with bolt ons into the low 14's-high 13's in a 95 coupe on street tires (with a good driver)
You'll need: (this is the simplest way but there are a variety of other B-series swap options)
OBD1 B18C complete longblock $800-1400
B-series transmission (preferably B18C1 or B18C5 or B16A or B16B) $400-1200
B series Axles.
You can use many D-series mounts but to make things simple (b/c you have no mounts) get all the B-series motor/trans mounts (5 total)
B-series shift linkage
(USDM) Either a D16Z6 (with extensions made for VTEC and maybe O2 sensor), OBD1 B18C1 engine harness
If your Civic is non-VTEC then you got more work to do

A bird in the hand is worth more than two in a bush. Get yourself some more money and make a decision. You can realistically put a well functioning GSR swap in for roughly $3200-3500 if you do the work yourself. A B18B swap will be about $1800-2200. Make a realistic goal for the amount of cash you are going to spend and go from there.

yes and i have alot to learn and im coming to the import world cuz its somthing new from camaros and stuff but ill take yalls ideas cuz like i said im super new the this world and thanks for all who replyed and he wasnt telling me what to do with my money i said somthing to him bout k20 motors and shit so it was my fault

Back