swap not done but looking for more

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racintweek

im in the middle of putting an ls in my hatch and im already looking for more

i've already planned on going all motor and I know what i want my setup to be(like there's more than one ;) ) i know what i want so dont tell me to go boost or vtec

any ways will using a b20 block net me a reasonable gain over the ls
or will i waste money buying a new block

screw VTEC, all motor, and the other block, just boost the LS. You can make crazy power without vtec....if you're running the right cams, especially with boost.

this is going to be strictly a street car
i'm looking for 185-200 at the wheels
with no boost that much power will smoke boosted cars with the same power
i like instant acceleration i dont want to have to wait for it

but if i were to build a car for the strip i would def boost a b20

yeah a b20 bottom end would net you some gains, over the LS, bottom end, however the b20 has real low compression ratio, and would require custom pistons to bump up the compression on an all motor build up. If you are trying to do thing cheap, I would keep the LS, get some b16 pistons, or CTRs (if the will work) and you will have a pretty sweet set up.

of course i want to be cheap but i want a fast car too
if getting the crv block will net me a reasonable hp gain ill get it

i already know what i want to do to the ls and being as the b20 is a bored ls there is only a couple ways to build those motor for NA non v-tec i was asking if the increase in hp with b20's diplacement was enough to justify buying another block

the block would be my only extra expense being as i have already planned and priced what i want for the ls

the only thing i can think of is good exhaust, cams, high cr pistons, and valvetrain; but most of the high rpm cams are for vtec heads. i got to tell you; having 200whp on a ls motor, even a b20 motor, is going to be hard without having to bump up the idle(at least for a "street" budget).

And that was good enough for 150 whp. That's just behind gsr territory.

With tuning, there is easily a 5-10 hp gain.
With cam gears (which crower reccommends a degree tune), there is probably another 5-10 hp gain.
with an aftermarket header and a real intake, probably another 2-5
with more rpms from a tuned computer, theres a bunch of top end left. remember, this was the stock b18b1 ecu. (cams are said to be good for 8500)

like that said there is still room for improvement and thats on an ls block
i think 200hp is can be gotten with the right parts. im just trying to figure out if there really is no replacement for displacement

i already know what i want for the headwork and internals
i want to know if displacement realy helps all that much

displacement is gonna yeild more of a torque gain than a horsepower gain. Also if you want 200 whp you are gonna need to run something around 12:1 compression pistons and probably hondata as well for tunability to achive that amount of power....also be careful tho as you said this was strictly a street car you dont want to go all out to much cause then you wont be able to run pump gas. otherwise good luck with your build

from what that article said you can get 170-175 with a few more minor upgrades
i would assume 404's, higher comp, higher redline,proper tuning and a little more displacement on top of the above mentioned upgrades would get me there

93 octane + toluene = no detonation :thumbsup:

MY B20 VTEC Setup, Stock b20b bottom end, stock type R head, I/E, Bisimoto header, tuned hondata 200whp 145wtq

wow.sorry to whore 200whp with that hopefully i can get more than that i got arais 11.8:1 b16 head 2001 itr cams hondata hopeing to hit 220 at the wheels if i ever finish :( . Check out honda tech there some guy there running good number on ther na ls engines. with small upgrades

Originally posted by racintweek@Jun 9 2004, 08:50 PM
v-tec = no torque :thumbsdown:

haha what makes you say so? vtec actually creates a broad torque band and lets you idle good with high-profile cams, which is very good. the only reason the b18a/b has more torque than the b18c is because of a slightly larger stroke.

Originally posted by racintweek@Jun 8 2004, 05:01 PM
i like instant acceleration i dont want to have to wait for it

you've obviosuly never driven a correctly built turbo car.

i used to be a porter at a vw dealer(now im in parts dept) i've driven many modded 1.8t's that have had around 200 hp they are fast but they dont have the same grunt as a VR6 which is factory rated at 199hp and i dont think that VWAG has a problem knowing how to build engines

Vtec def adds power especially in comparison to a regular head, the only difference between a vtec head and a non vtec is non vtec injects feul consisitantly throughout its rpms, but a vtec head injects more feul at higher rpms. So how could a non vtec head be considered more powerful?

any motor is going to inject more fuel at highr rpms that is what map, tps, and o2 sensors are for they tell the ecm when more air is being pulled in and if the mixture is too lean thats normal operation on just about any car

the difference in v-tec and non is that non v-tecs have more torque and that you dont have to stay at 8 trillion rpms with to have some usable power

i dont think the ls head is "more powerful"
i just dont see the big craze about v-tec

if your racing some one in your gsr you want to keep your revs in vtec
now if the person you are racing has some cams in his ls with the same profile as you vtec lobes whats the point in vtec?

so your car is streetable, big deal some people might like a lopey idle with huge cams
you can build YOUR car to go fast, great i can build MY car to just as fast as yours just because its different doesnt mean it not right or impossible

Back