Swap or not?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rockenroller6

Sorry if I have posted in the wrong forum but I've got a 94 civic dx with the stock d15b7 motor and after replacing a head gasket that I thought was blown, it now has decided to leak again. I dont want to part with my little blue wonder because its in super shape for a 94 besides the head which has to be cracked or warpped. So that leaves me with the option of dropping in a d16z6 vtec motor. I dont need the power, its my daily driver and with the idiots in my town, believe me my little 1.6L will get the job done. So my question is will this motor drop straight in and bolt to my stock tranny without modification or extra parts besides the ecu and vtec wires? Or should I just pull the head, mill it and call it a day?:imgone:

Last edited:
Either way would be a go, the d16z6 will drop right in with no mods to your trans, and if you didn't want to get the ecu and wire the v-tech you could drop in right in and go, or get the ecu and run some wire's(not hard to do) and have a nice little set up, and if you go the other way and have the head milled make sure you have the shop test it to see if it has a crack, and make sure you run a straight edge across the top of you block in multiple place's to make sure the block is not warped (most likely not) and put back together and go. Less work to fix the head and money, but if you want v-tech than do the swap. or just swap in the v-tech head and wire the v-tech and change the ecu. All those options will get you back on the road, It's just a matter of what one you want to do.

Yeah I was thinking about a mini-me swap, I know the blocks not cracked or anything, so I would be fine to just bolt on a d16z6 head? Wouldnt have to change injectors or anything right? Just the head? I want this to be reliable so I dont want the wiring to be all ghetto so should I just use a P28?

Last edited:
Yes get the p28, and have some one who know what there doing wire the vtec, or you can do this, if you trust you self to do it right, I'm pretty sure you can use you intake and injectors and all, but make sure you get the all the head parts, there may be something you need to do to the block for the vtec to work, I'm not positive though.

Just have the head re-surfaced, and check the deck of the block and make sure it is somewhat level.

Ah, the ironies of life. haha After quite a while, lets just say, of having the same engine, a D15B7, I came across a D16Z6 for a very low price. It's a direct bolt-on as everyone else has told you and wooooo, I could tell the difference in power. haha I know it's sad but true. This is going to help keep me going until I either A, decide to build up the LS block that I have or B, decide on whether to go with a B18B or a B18C. Decisions, decisions. Either way, I wish you luck my friend. Keep us posted.

do the mini me swap and have some fun - I dunno if that is the same write up I have saved at home but there is a few things to make sure you do or it won't work and vtec won't engage it isn't just head gasket and head bolt on -

Back