Swap pics... OBD2 B16 into 96 Ek hatch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

NARKOSIS

Using my shitty camera on my Moto Q. Gonna try and snag a better cam once the motor gets here today or tomorrow. Ill add pics as more stuff happens

My lil buddy...
hatch2.jpg

bars2.jpg

The little D that couldnt... idler seized up on the timing belt on the highway. Spent $500 at a mechanic, said it was fine, started it up and it sounded like shit. They compression tested it and found that 2 cylinders were fine, 1 was bad, the other was dead.
img085.jpg

The man of the hour doing the swap. Probably loves Hondas more than me. Drives a really nice 06 RSX Type-S with some mods.
img086.jpg

Removed the axles and drained the radiator fluid and removed the intake mani for easier access
img088.jpg

Removing the wiring harness since I've read its much easier to take it out and plug everything into the new motor before dropping it in
img090.jpg

Tonight we are disconnecting the rest of the misc shit, supporting the engine to remove the mounts and lifting the tired D outta there. Should be receiving my A/C bracket and intake tonight, radiator hoses tomorrow via Honda, and exhaust Monday. Clutch and short shifter came yesterday.

Any tips/pointers are definitely welcome. Its our first swap (although Scotts been working on hondas and cars in general for 4 years now).

goodluck, looking good so far.
Where did you get your swap?

Last edited:
got it from hmotorsonline.com. And just got a call from the receiving shop that it just arrived. Told me 6-7 days and it was 7 days, so far very happy. They have on their site the 92-95 swap for 2250 but since Im using an Ek, its been recommended to stick with OBD2 for simplicity. So they had two of the 96-98 SiR motors in stock which ran me a grand total of about 3100 i believe.

Steve originally thought he had one with lsd and one without. I didnt want to shell out the extra $300 for the lsd though. But, as it turns out, he called me last friday as they were loading it on the truck and mentioned that both had the lsd and the one they were selling me also had a jazma header (which from honda-tech is supposed to be a Mugen header). He wanted only $200 to save him the hassle of removing both parts so I couldnt pass it up.

i know e-racing is bogus but im just trying to get an idea of what a decent pass would be down the 1/4. Do you think (with decent driver/tires) I could break into the 14s with full i/h/e and it being gutted?

running into the an issue with wiring up the vtec solonoid and pressure switch. OBD2 motor and car, is there a wiring diagram for it or do both sensors only use one wire and go right to the ecu plugs? Both connectors has 2 wires coming off them and not sure where the others go. ALl the diagrams I've seen are for obd1 cars

after a few hours of searching around i finally found out that there is no pressure switch on 96+ cars, its all figured out through the solonoid. Now I need to fix the tps sensor, somehow that got screwed up. anyone know if I can use the tps off my old intake mani?

i read on honda-tech that I cant use that one. they said it has to be the same style inake mani (tb being either vertical or horizontal)??

anyone have any other insight on this TPS problem? Looking on Ebay and a lot of them say "will fit ALL 91-00 civics"

just look at them do they look the same? i believe all tps are the same on hondas

no, they are all not the same. Atleast the only one that would be different is the intake mani on my old d16y7 which has the tb opening facing up, not to the left. found out through honda-tech. When I hook up a multimeter to check the voltage, the idle should read .5v and wot should read 4.5v. Mine was reading the exact opposite, which means I need to switch the two outside wires on the TPS. This was the explanation i got which sounds right...
Quote, originally posted by thesmogman @ honda-tech.com
Some throttlebodies the action is clockwise and some are counterclockwise, Then you would have to match which way your's is.Example: My gas pedal cable is pulled from the bottom of the pulley and would be counterclockwise. If yours pulls from the top then it would be clockwise.
Hope this makes sense to you...

well all that tps re-wiring stuff was complete BS. So my apologies to those I disagreed with. Found out the REALLY hard way lol No one (in any of the write-ups I read) mentioned a small issue with the MAP and TPS connectors on a DX harness. Some of you may already know where this is going but Ill explain anyway (it helps me to vent my frustration lol).

First we cut the tps connector and re-wired it, thinking "sweet! easy fix!". I got it rewired and tested the voltage and it was still off. It was reading .4 @idle and about 2.9 @ WOT. I just said screw it and tried starting the car thinking that it would atleast kick over and go from there... wrong! The car cranked over for about 1 second then died. Now im getting reeeally pissed. We started screwing with the connector after cutting it completely off and started doing a small electricity flow diagram with a sharpy trying to figure it all out. No luck. So I just left the sensor off and started it up and started throttling it slightly and threw a CEL. Good! Its probably the TPS. Nope... MAP sensor. WTF?

Im standing there with my buddy looking at it and then I had the bright idea of grabbing the old mani and laying it on top of the new one. Problem solved instantly with us kicking each other in the asses.

On the DX harness and the way the intake manifold is designed is exactly opposite of the design on the b16 manifold. The DX harness MAP and TPS plugs line up perfectly on the new mani but they are reversed which threw us waaay off. So we wired the TPS sensor back the way it was suggested to us along with extending it to reach and started the car up. Still idled really weird, just wasnt smooth. So we adjusted the timing and still wasnt sounding right. Screw it, I re-wired the tps back to the original wiring, started it up and music to our ears. Ill be posting the rest of my swap pics either later tonite or tomorrow at work. Buts its running real strong and sounds sooo nice... with the exception of my exhaust which was too long so Im driving it with the hi-flow cat and the first piece of piping... can you say LOOUUD!? lol

First time swapping a motor, great experience and learned a lot. Cant wait for the next one, I really enjoyed it, even with some "Homer" moments

oh yeah, and Steve at hmotors called me back last night during the test drive and were very eager to fix anything that went wrong. Meaning the broken TPS sensor and the header leak and/or crack. Said he'd ship it out asap. Great guys to do business with. Also found out that the lsd thats in there is either a Kaaz or Cusco lsd... can you say saahh-weeeet? lol

Back