SWAP problem - JDM H23 VTEC engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the engine worked ok, but its a slow pig compared to when the vtec is hooked up..

i do not know all the specifics on the electronics, i think he could not use the h23 dist cause it was diffrent but i'm not sure, i know he had to convert it over to OBD1 cause it was a 2001 motor...

i will ask him exactly what dist he used and what he changed, i will have a better answer for you on monday

I tried to finnish the swap on Sunday. That wasn't easy.
There are some unexpected (for me) differencies between 2 systems.

First, injection systems are different.

1. Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)
Injector of H23 non-VTEC engine
IACV has 2 wires and it's managed by vacuum

Injector of H23 VTEC engine
IACV has 3 wires and it's managed by electronics

2. There is no idling screw (not sure about the name) on new injector.

So, the injector system is completely different from ANY Prelude OBD1 & OBD2 (I thought it should be similar). It's most probably like Accord Type R.

3. EGR Control Solenoid Valves are different.
H23 non-VTEC engine
EGR has 3 wires and it's managed by vacuum

H23 VTEC engine
EGR has 4 wires and it's managed by electronics

In the beginning we thought to get a 2.2VTEC Accord Type R electroscheme (we had only OBD2 Prelude 2.2), that should coincide with H23 VTEC Accord SiR. Thus, we could check where those additional wires go to.

But then, we found a fresh solution.
We traded places:
- Injectors' heads (together with the IACV and idle screw). So we left the new injector and equipped it with the old injector's head.
- EGRs (though, OBD2 EGR inner wholes are smaller)
- Injector connectors. As I use OBD1 wires and OBD2 injectors, we cut off OBD2 connectors from my OBD2 harness and solderred them to OBD1 harness.

It was too late to finnish the swap, so we decided to continue another day.

Not sure how it's all gonna work... I'll keep you guys informed.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 21 2005, 08:53 PM
i will ask him exactly what dist he used and what he changed, i will have a better answer for you on monday
[post=449202]Quoted post[/post]​

Do you have any info?

Since I'm looking for a new P13 ECU, I'm thinking of getting a chipped one.
What will be better for performance SKUNK2 RACE ECU or JUN ECU?

Before you buy a chipped ECU, please read the many thread in this forum alone that deal with the problems associated with using chipped ECU's.

If you really want performance out of your ECU, get either a piggyback or standalone, and get it tuned correctly. I guarantee that, if you get a chipped ECU, you'll be back here a couple of weeks or months after you install it, asking for ECU-related help.

If you really want performance out of your ECU, get either a piggyback or standalone, and get it tuned correctly. I guarantee that, if you get a chipped ECU, you'll be back here a couple of weeks or months after you install it, asking for ECU-related help.

i couldn;t agree more, sorry for not getting back to you but i haven't seen my friend lately... will try and talk to him tonight...

def do not get a "chipped" ecu unless you absolutely need a diffrent chip to run the H23vtec, and then only get it from a very reliable/reputable source...

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jan 25 2005, 05:54 PM
Before you buy a chipped ECU, please read the many thread in this forum alone that deal with the problems associated with using chipped ECU's.

[post=451060]Quoted post[/post]​

:eek:

Thanks for the advice.
I was about to buy it. Can you recommend where I could look for a piggyback chipped ECU P13? As far as I understand, "piggyback" in this sence means an option to choose either stock or tuned chip. How does it look like? A kind of a switch or you should change them everytime manually (to open ECU box)? It's all new for me.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Jan 25 2005, 06:05 PM
def do not get a "chipped" ecu unless you absolutely need a diffrent chip to run the H23vtec, and then only get it from a very reliable/reputable source...
[post=451069]Quoted post[/post]​

hi buddy!
can you recommend me a "very reliable / reputable source"?
There are stock ECU's on E-bay, but I really want to squeeze out more hp from the engine without spending of huge amounts of money. Maybe it's better to buy a tuned chip and solder it in the ECU? Is there an easy way how to leave a stock chip in the ECU and to add a tuned one? To have a possibility to jump from one to another easily.

no, you can only use one chip at a time as far as i know...

a piggyback is not really another chip, its more like an ecu that piggybacks on your ecu, you still need your stock ecu along with the other piggy back system

and i would strongly advise that you just try and get it running with a stock p13 for now... worry about small hp gains later

i would hold off on anything other than the stock ecu until you have the car running and wait till you upgrade to better cams or something that you can really get gains from a tuned chip

Another Great Reason for the H23 is the Counterweights on the Rods make a more smooth feel all thru your Rev!

;)
Finally! I've finished the swap! Except one thing, I still use the P14 ECU. The engine works great, although it has not a VTEC ECU. It's a pitty that we've got lots of snow on the roads these days. I didn't have a chance to test the car in normal conditions. What I had a problem with was the connection between the engine exhaust manifold and the connecting pipe that goes to the cat. They are different, 'cause the engine is from a JDM Accord 1999 and that all other exhaust system is from Prelude 1992. So I had to order to construct a special flange to fit Accord's exhaust manifold. They did it perfectly. So, now the car sounds great with the new engine and my direct-flow exhaust system. Tomorrow, I'm going to install a K&N filter.
Still thinking of getting a chipped ECU P13. But now I trend more to a stock one.
I doubt that I can get a perfectly chipped ECU, moreover shipped outside USA.
Any ideas?

Originally posted by Riceras@Feb 2 2005, 10:52 PM
Another Great Reason for the H23 is the Counterweights on the Rods make a more smooth feel all thru your Rev!
[post=455259]Quoted post[/post]​

I didnt get you?

Back