1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SWAP problem

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> BA-BB /CA-CD' started by Atrevido, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

I've almost finninshed my long lasting swap (Prelude 92 Si to JDM H22A VTEC). But still there's a problem. VTEC is not working and the light "check engine" is on. I connected VTEC solenoid valve (grn/yel A4) and VTEC Pressure Switch (blu or lt grn D6). But I can not find where I get the ground wire for VTEC pressure switch (blk/red A26). Everybody in internet always refer to such a connection, but one local technician that helped me, said that since the Pressure Switch is on the block, it's already grounded. Then, maybe I ran the wire to a wrong switch (to Knock Sensor?)? Does anyone has a picture of it? Where the black wire should come exactly from the pressure switch? Please explain.

2. TWISTEDIMAGE

TWISTEDIMAGE Senior Member

ground it. the press switch does not matter witch wire goes to computer, one wire goes to computer and one goes to chassis ground

3. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

And that one that goes to chasis ground, where does it go from? From the connector or from the switch itself? I'm mixed up, 'cause I'm not sure if I found the proper connector.

4. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

I checked some pictures of VTEC solenoid and VTEC Oil Pressure Sensor on the web. It appears to be that I have a problem. Instead of the VTEC Oil Pressure Sensor there is a bolt on its place... :eek:
    Strange. But I must confess that I was talking not about usual H22A VTEC engine, but about H23A VTEC, taken from JDM Accord Wagon SiR 1999. A very rear one. Since it's OBD2 (1999), then, maybe it doesnt have the sensor (operted by ECU?)? Or it was broken during transportation, which seems to me more realistic.
    Does anyone have an idea?

5. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

Just found out that all Preludes from 1997 to 2001 have bolts there exactly like I do. Then, it's not clear what sensor/unit performs the VTEC Oil Pressure Sensor function on those ludes.
    Does anyone know?

6. tab

tab Super Moderator

Just check under OIL PRESSURE SENSOR. It's probably a yellow wire with a red stripe, near your oil filter. On non vtec to vtec swaps, the oil sensor wire and vtec oil sensor wires are interchangeable. :)

7. reikoshea

reikoshea HS Troll...And Mod Moderator VIP

yeah, and if you need to ground it, you can just ground your vtec wire to the block...there is a screw on mine that i grounded it to.

8. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

Trying to solve my problem with lacking VTEC oil pressure switch I found some interesting info. It says:

Pls comment.

9. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

And one more

What you guys think about this?

10. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

Here is the end of the above posted problem. So, I guess I should try this to solve my problem.

Still waiting for your comments, guys.

11. tab

tab Super Moderator

I've never heard someone say that they didn't have an oil pressure sender. It's not just for VTEC, so I don't know why they would abandon it. I personally, would just add a sensor to the back of the block, and use the one wire that it requires to make things right.

12. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

:) Bingo! I've connected the wire that goes from ECU pin D6 to the wire A4, and now it's working! VTEC works great, without the VTEC OIL PRESSURE SWITCH. But that is really strange. Why does Honda use the switch at all, if it's not a must? I don't think that "Boomslang" would recommend something wrong. I know that on the 5th gen. Preludes there was no VTEC oil pressure switch. I thought, if so, it should be ruled by its ECU - P5P. But now I'm not sure if it's about ECU at all. I think there was a jumper in P5P, connecting equivalents for A4 and D6.
    But still, the question is not solved: Why does the switch exist at all?

13. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

I think you misunderstood me. I was talking not about oil pressure sensor/sender, but VTEC oil pressure switch. Which should be located right beneath the VTEC Solenoid Valve.

14. reikoshea

I think it is so you cant use VTEC until your engine is warmed up. I know on more than one occassion ive been bad and forgotten to get it warmed up before i hit it hard.

Maybe im wrong but hey...at least im posting again.

15. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

I'll try to run VTEC without warming up.

16. tab

tab Super Moderator

Yeah, that's what I get for speed reading through all these posts.

I'm with Reiko. I know that VTEC does not work until the car is warmed up. It still doesn't make sense to me though, since my engine is also JDM and has all the necessary components. I didn't have to jump those wires.

17. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

What year is your JDM engine? If 1993-1996 OBD1, then, most probably you should have the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch. If 1996-2001 OBD2, you might not have it (mine is 1999-2000).
    As for VTEC on unwarmed up car, it works, I checked. That is really starange. Then, what is the difference between having and not having the VTEC Oil Pressure Switch? :(
    Does someone know?

18. reikoshea

......i dont know what to say to that...I would think that the OBD2 would NEED an oil pressure sensor...its got everything else. If you hit VTEC when you start your car you found your answer though. Thats what that switch is for.

19. Atrevido

Atrevido Member

By the way, guys, does it make any difference which fuel pump to use?
    I mean, I left my old non-VTEC fuel pump to work with the new VTEC engine.
    Do they have noticeable difference or it doesn't matter. Will my car run better with the proper fuel pump?

20. reikoshea

your old fuel pump is more than satisfactory, just make sure you use the injectors that came with the engine.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted