swap question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

philyphreak2127

Back in the Game
Okay my friend has a 1991 accord, it had the f22b1 dohc vtec motor in it, he threw a rod and bought my former project motor and h23a1. He took my motor swapped his head onto it and dropped it in his car. everything was fine except now the car won't start. We checked and rechecked the plug wire order on the distributor, charged the battery, and even checked the spark plugs for spark. everything is cool. Tomorrow we're pulling the starter, battery, and alternator to get them checked. Any suggestions?

we also plan on rechecking the timing tomorrow although we are almost possitive it is correct. The fuel pump is on when we try to start the car. It even cranks.

did you put the h23 head on the f22? is that what you are saying? also the f22b1 isnt dohc.

is the correct ecu in it?

i dont know why you are checking the batt, alt or starter. you said that it is cranking....so that means the starter and the batt are working properly.

no. we put the f22b1 head on the h23a1 block. We figured we would check that stuff anyways. we checked the timing and it is right. the firing order is right too. we finally got it to start but it sounds bad.

why would you put the f22b1 sohc head on an h23 block? you do realize that not all of the oil and coolant holes line up correct? what head gasket did you use?

okay well then this head is off of some other motor. because it is definately dual overhead cam. unless I have my idea of a dual overhead cam motor wrong. correct me if I am wrong but a sohc motor shouldn't have two cams, and 2 cam gears. in that case the timing belt should only go over one cam gear right? and I believe the head gasket is from the f22b1.

I will look up the head code tomorrow. it was on an f22b1 block that is for sure.

I'm telling you man I'm almost possitive it is vtec. it might even be an h22 head I'm not sure. I didn't buy the car, and the kid who did never even asked what motor was in the car. but it is for sure dohc, and almost possitively vtec. but either way that head went on that motor because all the cam lobes, and valve springs were worn on the h23 pretty badly. So instead of replacing all of that we threw on the f22b1 head. but either way it doesn't matter not to be a dick or anything but if you can help me get the car running I would much appreciate it if not then please don't sit here and talk crap about his choices.

I'm telling you man I'm almost possitive it is vtec. it might even be an h22 head I'm not sure. I didn't buy the car, and the kid who did never even asked what motor was in the car. but it is for sure dohc, and almost possitively vtec. but either way that head went on that motor because all the cam lobes, and valve springs were worn on the h23 pretty badly. So instead of replacing all of that we threw on the f22b1 head. but either way it doesn't matter not to be a dick or anything but if you can help me get the car running I would much appreciate it if not then please don't sit here and talk crap about his choices.
dude i just did that swap and had the same problem like you you gotta check if the vaccum hose is connected to the egr valve if not tee it to one of the vaccum hoses and when you startin the car you gotta hold down all the throttle and if you fifnt block up the oil passages on the crank side between the head and block then it sgunna leak a bunch of oil i blocked it off with some jb weld and it worked fine........any more probs hit me up........

Back