Swap Questions b18c

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tcpappas

I have 2 questions,
I want to do the swap of a b18c into my 89 CRX hf, I've seen all kinds of swap guides online and here as well for the b16a, from the Install all the way down to running the vacuum lines. But when it comes to the B18c I find myself coming up short. Idk if im looking in all the wrong places or if the swap is extremely similar between the two. Any help will be appreciated.
In your opinion is the Type-r B18c worth the money compared to the plain B18c? Im headed back from Iraq soon and want to build it right, just looking to shead some light on the grey areas.

I have 2 questions,
I want to do the swap of a b18c into my 89 CRX hf, I've seen all kinds of swap guides online and here as well for the b16a, from the Install all the way down to running the vacuum lines. But when it comes to the B18c I find myself coming up short. Idk if im looking in all the wrong places or if the swap is extremely similar between the two. Any help will be appreciated.
In your opinion is the Type-r B18c worth the money compared to the plain B18c? Im headed back from Iraq soon and want to build it right, just looking to shead some light on the grey areas.
The swap itself is very similar to each other. The main difference you're going to run into is the tranny and obd system. Your CRX is obd0 and uses a cable tranny. The B16 is offered this way, the GSR is not. The GSR is obd1 (or 2, which ever you decide to buy) and uses a hydraulic tranny. You can always just buy a cable tranny to mate to the GSR motor but i'm assuming you'd like to buy a complete swap.

Also, be weary of the cheaper mount kits available if you decide to swap the GSR motor in there. The intake manifold on the GSR is a different design when compared to the B16/Type R manifold. Using a cheap mount kit could have you running into a problem with the GSR manifold hitting the firewall.

As far as the Type R being worth it over the GSR, it's all about your goals. The Type R is a great all motor platform to start with and it also comes with an LSD tranny. If you decide to boost, the GSR would be the wiser of the two cost-wise. If you buy the Type R and decide to boost, you'll just find yourself swapping out the parts you shelled out the additional money for when you initially bought the Type R motor. You can still boost the Type R motor though, with a good tune. A good tune is the key to anything so your possibilities are pretty much endless. Goodluck :thumbsup:

I appreciate the help, basically what your telling me is that if i go with a good set of Hasport mounts, and get a hold of the guys at Rywire I shouldn't find myself running into too many problems? I do plan on boosting down the road so the Type R is probably the route that I will choose.
Thanks again
-Pappas

P.S. benson1121 Your gonna hate me for this but im 31B lol

I appreciate the help, basically what your telling me is that if i go with a good set of Hasport mounts, and get a hold of the guys at Rywire I shouldn't find myself running into too many problems? I do plan on boosting down the road so the Type R is probably the route that I will choose.
Thanks again
-Pappas
Yeah pretty much... but if you choose the Type R motor, you won't have any intake manifold clearance problems so you can choose to go with some cheaper mounts if you decide to. However, I would never shy away from HaSport if I had the money :)

i have a 92 hatch i just ran across my first problems it has a b20b with 99gsr head and tranny, jg edelbrock x intake manifold with p28 we gave it hell and the engine light came on and the vtec is not kicking in any more it idels at a pulse like 1300 to 1600 i have no way of checking the code i dont think any one know what could be the problem

Does it only 'pulse' until it warms up? Could be the IAC valve or vacume leak..
Just my .02
E

The swap itself is very similar to each other. The main difference you're going to run into is the tranny and obd system. Your CRX is obd0 and uses a cable tranny. The B16 is offered this way, the GSR is not. The GSR is obd1 (or 2, which ever you decide to buy) and uses a hydraulic tranny. You can always just buy a cable tranny to mate to the GSR motor but i'm assuming you'd like to buy a complete swap.

There is a cable GSR tranny. B17a Integra GSR's were cable.

Back