Swap Start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

racerxb20z

ok the economy is bad and im short on money. so it looks like a z6 is what im going with in my 1990 crx dx. I dont personally know any one who has had it done so I need a little shopping list help. I know i need the engine (duh), intake manifold yada yada stuff. plan on doing all the good old maintenence to the motor my only real concers are what exact mounts i use, wiring, distributer, and am i correct that i do not need the injector resistor box? I am not a newbie to swaps, just this swap. any help from you that have done this would be greatly appreciated.

If you are converting to OBD-1 when you do the swap, you don't need the injector resistor box. However, you'll need a P28 ECU and a cut ECU-plug harness to splice into your existing one, or an OBD0->1 jumper. You'll also need an OBD-1 civic engine harness. You can use the injectors, distributor, and all the sensors that come with the Z6. All of your existing mounts, and your tranny and axles will bolt up just fine.

If you don't want to wire your car for ODB 1, you can wire your car for MPFI, keep it obd-0, use a 88-91 Si distributor, your old 1-wire O2 sensor, and use an RPM switch to activate VTEC. This way is cheaper, but nowhere near as good. Especially with your PM5 ECU.

also you are going to want to keep your DX tranny or get a 4th gen si tranny. as the z6 tranny is a hydro tranny and your car opporates on a cable tranny. No matter what you do you are going to have to wire your car up for MPFI, it is not that hard and will take about a day or so. You will also have to wire up for vtec, and i would recommend going to obd1 so that you do not have any ecu trouble. there are many good resources to get an obd1 conversion harness, the best one that i know of is a guy on honda-tech.com named blownhatch or blown90hatch, something like that.

Who sells a jumper for obd0 to 1? That for sure looks like the right route to go and it doesnt look like its out of my league.

:D JUST FINNISHED 92-95 SOHC VTEC SWAP IN MY 90 CRX SI IT WAS A SIMPLE SWAP YOU DON'T NEED ANY KIND OF WIRE HARNESS CONVERTER I USED MY STOCK INTAKE MANIFOLD, SI ECU , STOCK TRANNY/FLYWHEEL & CLUCH ASSYM, AND STOCK DISTRIBUTOR W/ MODS TO BOLT HOLES, ALSO NEED STOCK DRIVERS SIDE ENGINE MOUNT I RUN A FULL MSD IGNITION SO I USE THE MSD RPM SWITCH TO CONTROL VTEC JUST HEEDED THE FPR OFF THE 92-95 FUEL RAIL GAVE MY CAR A BIG KICK IN THE PANTS E-MAIL IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS

I did this swap into an HF. I hooked up an autometer tach as the RPM activator. the solenoid is connected straight to the shift light so it acts like a VTEC controller, but the only thing is that you can't set it below 3500 RPM's. You also need to convert the dpfi to mpfi... :hmm:

Back