Swap Suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hashpipe623

hey guys, i've been reading here for quite a while, and am looking to do my swap this summer. I have a friend who will be able to do all the work with me, but i'm just in the process of picking a motor. what will get me the most bang for my buck.. keep in mind i am currently on the old b18a, 130 hp. should i go with just a b16a1 or b16a2? or the sirII motor? what about the b17 gsr or b18 gsr motors? let me know what you think would be best for my application. i'm looking to spend no more than $4000 total for parts, maybe 5k. thanks

hey man.... have you ever considered turboing your current LS engine? that's what i would do it i was you. any b16 engine would be a bad choice. they just don't have enough torque to get an integra moving very quickly. i really wanna try to sway you towards turbo, but if you're not wanting to do that then you should get a gsr. if you can find a b17 then it would be an easier swap, but a b18c1 (gsr) would offer much more performance, but would require you to convert your cars electronics to obd1. you could also do a ls/vtec setup which i would probably do before i would swap in a gsr. if you don't know what a ls/vtec is.... it's using the ls block (which you already have) and swapping on a vtec head. you would use the b16a SiR head since it is obd0 (same as your car). along with the head, you have to swap out your ecu for one that matches the head. you also have to enlarge a couple dowel pin holes on the head and plug a hole on the head and run an oil line from the block to the head. let me know if you have any more questions.... but i think that turbo is your best bet... you can find a great kit within your budget at http://www.ks-motorsports.com/

well thanks for the input, i'd like to hear what others have to say.

turbo sounds good... but i'm worried about it killing my engine, it already had 150k on it. as for the next option ls/vtec, i've heard of really complicated swaps, and a lack of reliability with those, and i'd again be worrying about the milage on my current engine. what are the differences in power and price for the b17 and the b18 gsr motors? cuz that looks like my next option. finally, does anyone else have anything to add about a b16a or the sirII engine? thanks for the help

Mileage pretty much doesn't matter when you rebuild the engine. I vote to keep your LS motor and do a rebuild. swap in a new bottom end, new valvetrain, new water pump etc - and they strap a turbo on it. If you don't want to do this for whatever reason, you can swap in a GSR or a b16, both will provide good bases for future modification. Your current motor just needs some TLC before you boost.

(by the way, an SiR2 motor IS the b16a2)

b17: 160hp 117tq
b18c SiR-G (JDM GSR): 178hp 129tq

so as you can see, there is much to be gained from the never gsr engine. as for your current engine... if you go turbo, i would recommend replacing your rods and rings and rehoning your block... and then you would have no issues with it bein' older. and with ls/vtec, some say that it is not reliable... but it is only as reliable as it's built. if you half-ass it, then it's not gonna last long, but if you build it right, you'll be a-ok. if you go the ls/vtec route, i'd recommend getting new pistons and rings and rehoning the block, which would also get rid of the troubles of an old engine. as for the difficutly of the ls/vtec build... i really couldn't tell ya, i've never done it. but i wouldn't worry about it i were you, there are many people on this board that can help you out with any problems that you may have. and the SiR-G engine runs about $3,000... and i have no idea how much the b17 would cost... cuz i've never even seen one for sale.

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Apr 13 2003, 06:16 PM
(by the way, an SiR2 motor IS the b16a2)

uh... no it's not. the SiR II came out of JDM Civic SiR II's and is obd1. the b16a2 came out of 99-00 USDM Civic Si's and was obd2... big differance in the two engines.

All I have to say is hmotorsonline.com they got the best deals and if you can find a better price tell them and they will beat it. They have got all the engines you want and then some. As for ls/vtec it's great if done right, cr/vtec is better and you get a whole lot more power. Also and ls motor with everything is 2200 dollars from hmotorsonline. That comes with everything and if you look for a turbo it will be cheaper as long a you don't try to rig the turbo up all gay and such.

i think i've decided on either getting a gsr b18c w/ around 60k miles on it for 2500 OR just getting a 93gsr and start moding that. i'd still like to just swap a fresh/rebuilt b17 into my car, but i can't seem to find one ;-/ does anybody know where to look? hmotorsports.com doesn't have them!

Back