Swap Turbo Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99civicJDMh22

I have a 99 civic i have swapped an H22a and plan on boosting does anyone know if a complete 92-96 prelude turbo kit bolt on and will i be able to use all part of kit with the civic chasis. :sniper:

I really doubt that the intercooler piping and maybe the intercooler itself will just bolt up. But if you are getting a good deal on the kit. Its not much work to fab up some piping and mounts for the intercooler. As far as the rest of it, it should work.

i agree 100%. simple cutting and welding and if you cant weld then just use couplers. thats only if your getting a good deal though.

Thats the thing i would like to find a good fab shop around here to build custom turbo kit so i can use the a garrett turbo looks like the way to go if it has to be modified anywayz, thanks

Good luck. A shop with some experience should be able to handle it easily. Be sure you check them out in person and through the Better Business Bureau first. If you know some previous customers, talk with them. Things like work quality, completion deadlines, costs, requests for money up front etc, can make things good or bad in a hurry. Your budget and whp wants will tend to grow. Do it right the first time. (example 7-800 cc injectors will cost you about the same as 500 but will give you more hp in the future as boost increases)

H22 turbo setup

As you know, the turbo you use will depend on the power you want and the application. (street, drags only, autocross, etc.) With stock sleeves and pistons you probably wouldn't be able to use anything larger than a GT30. Around 300 whp would be as much as you would want to run on the street without risking ringland damage. Even then you would want a good engine mgmt. sys., intercooler and dyno time to properly set it up. With aftermarket pistons (like Mahle Gold with stock sleeves) you could use more boost and produce over 500 whp with the GT30. That much power on a street H22 is pretty useless without suspension and tire upgrades and a good progressive boost controller. (changes boost level by gear or speed) The usual upgrades would be required for either setup - fuel pump and reg., injectors, intercooler, exhaust, etc. etc.

As you know, the turbo you use will depend on the power you want and the application. (street, drags only, autocross, etc.) With stock sleeves and pistons you probably wouldn't be able to use anything larger than a GT30. Around 300 whp would be as much as you would want to run on the street without risking ringland damage. Even then you would want a good engine mgmt. sys., intercooler and dyno time to properly set it up. With aftermarket pistons (like Mahle Gold with stock sleeves) you could use more boost and produce over 500 whp with the GT30. That much power on a street H22 is pretty useless without suspension and tire upgrades and a good progressive boost controller. (changes boost level by gear or speed) The usual upgrades would be required for either setup - fuel pump and reg., injectors, intercooler, exhaust, etc. etc.

This is very true, you want to pick a turbo that is going to fulfill your needs without being way bigger then what you need. Its nice to have something large enough that you can upgrade in the future if you decide to. I would take a look at some compressor maps for the different turbos you were looking at and see which one will be efficient for what you are trying to do. I would recommend staying around the 300 to 400 horsepower range with some good aftermarket pistons and rods. This will keep it as reliable as possible if it is tuned and setup correctly. Plus, there are many other things you can do to make your car quicker besides adding more horsepower. Just like purpleh22 said a good wheel tire combination, suspension mods, and the best mod ever for a turbo car a quaife LSD!! ;)

Back