Swaping a B18C5 (Type R) into a 97 Honda Civic EX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryantann

I realy don't know how to start off so here goes. I Just got my car and I'm currently deployed to Iraq. On my spare time I've been studying up on engine swaps. I've been looking at a B16A2 swap or a B18C5, and I'm leaning toward the B18C5 swap. My qusetion is how difficult would this swap be? And How much money would it cost to mount the engine?

Not very hard, and the mounts might be mix-n-match between the single cam and the Type R, but it will fit in the car fine.
Reference section and search will help out.
Should be same swap as GSR into EK.
I drove a type-R teg the other day.. fun fun fun :)
I drive a b16a2 civic every day ... not much fun fun fun :)

type r all the way, its just as easy as the b16 except about 30 horse to the wheels diffrence after its done. If you have the 4 or 5 grand for the type r than go for it. In a 97 ex (Same as mine :mrgreen: ) all you need to mount it is a 99-00 civic si rear mount, the other mounts will work. And as far as wiring is concerned the ex harness will plug right in except for a couple of wires that need to be lengthened. The only problem i can see for you is the ecu, finding an ob2a(make sure its an a) type r ecu is not easy especially because if you hope to pass emmisions your going to need both a usdm type r motor and a usdm type r ecu. Good luck.

Ps. the b16 is a much cheaper alternative, but nothing beats a type r!

Back