Swaping a F22 in my 90 civic hb

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

F22HB

I have a 1990 honda civic hatchback and I read all over the internet on how there were so many options for swaping engines. I knew a guy selling a 92 accord lx with only a little damage but an engine/transmission with only 100k miles. He wanted 100 bucks so we rented a flat bed and towed it to our house. In about 5 days we had the engine out of mine and the F22 in mine with allllottt of work(expanding the engine compartment and custom mounts). Now were almost done. We have the exhaust, intake, clutch(cable to hydrolic), shift linkage(rod to cable), emmission control and ecu. This is looking good so far going from a 1.5 carbourated 4speed to a 2.2 fuel injected 5 speed. So all I have left to finish before I can get out on the streets again is wiring and axles. The axles should be easy though, weld accord inners to civic outers. But the wiring is killing me. we have almost everything soldered in and all connected,(after going down to the local honda import store to photocopy some wiring diagrams) and everything is working good, we have spark and fuel to the fuel rail but the injectors don't seem to be injecting. It will run if you spray gas into the intake...lol but I don't know why the injectors arn't working. One thing is, that I still have the civic fuel pump in and maybe it isn't putting enough pressure??? I don't know, but its sooo close, maybe I'll put some pictures up soon. Any help would be apreciated!

what ECU? is the engine OBD1? did you do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to add wiring for the other 2 injectors and the CYLinder Position Sensor?

I have a 1990 honda civic hatchback and I read all over the internet on how there were so many options for swaping engines. I knew a guy selling a 92 accord lx with only a little damage but an engine/transmission with only 100k miles. He wanted 100 bucks so we rented a flat bed and towed it to our house. In about 5 days we had the engine out of mine and the F22 in mine with allllottt of work(expanding the engine compartment and custom mounts). Now were almost done. We have the exhaust, intake, clutch(cable to hydrolic), shift linkage(rod to cable), emmission control and ecu. This is looking good so far going from a 1.5 carbourated 4speed to a 2.2 fuel injected 5 speed. So all I have left to finish before wiring and axles. The axles should be easy though, weld accord inners to civic outers. But the wiring is killing me. we have almost everything soldered in and all connected,(after going down to the local honda import store to photocopy some wiring diagrams) and everything is working good, we have spark and fuel to the fuel rail but the injectors don't seem to be injecting. It will run if you spray gas into the intake...lol but I don't know why the injectors arn't working. One thing is, that I still have the civic fuel pump in and maybe it isn't putting enough pressure??? I don't know, but its sooo close, maybe I'll put some pictures up soon. Any help would be apreciated!
you're serious with this???
you could drop in a ZC for 140 hp, completely bolt in affair...
i can't even begin to think of the hours you have in this car...
have you welded axles before? you know the rpm's they push right?
this sounds incredibly dangerous
and hasport makes a mount kit for the f/h series into a 88-91

you're serious with this???
you could drop in a ZC for 140 hp, completely bolt in affair...
i can't even begin to think of the hours you have in this car...
have you welded axles before? you know the rpm's they push right?
this sounds incredibly dangerous
and hasport makes a mount kit for the f/h series into a 88-91
i would agree - the 125hp F22, due to it being a lot heavier, will probably run about like a stock D16A6 Si engine

Ya, I actualy don't have too many hours into it but everything I've had to make is custom fabricated which is somthin I like doing. Besides, once I'm done anyone would be able to drop-in and bolt on an H-22 or I was maybe going to buy another F22 and build it hi-comp and non-turbo while I wear out this engine then swap in the other F22 all built, I'm sure it cant be very much slower than the H22. They are the same engine but one has Vtec and a dohc head. Basicly the origionaly reason I'm doing this one, is because not to many people have, and I can. It is almost done and has only cost me 120 dollars out of my pocket so far!

what ECU? is the engine OBD1? did you do the DPFI to MPFI wiring changes to add wiring for the other 2 injectors and the CYLinder Position Sensor?

I used the accord ecu, and the engine is obd1. I don't think I need to do the DPFI to MPFI because there are four pins on the ecu that went to each injector and they are all hooked up. I have the injector resistor hooked up too. Also the TDC sensor is hooked up to the ecu. The only thing is, could somthing be not working because the civic is obd0 and the engine obd1?

I used the accord ecu, and the engine is obd1. I don't think I need to do the DPFI to MPFI because there are four pins on the ecu that went to each injector and they are all hooked up. I have the injector resistor hooked up too. Also the TDC sensor is hooked up to the ecu. The only thing is, could somthing be not working because the civic is obd0 and the engine obd1?
if you have the OBD1 injectors, they don't use a resistor box - is the ECU OBD1? if so, did you use a jumper harness to connect the OBD0 chassis harness to the OBD1 ECU? or, did you rewire everything at the ECU? do you have the ground wire at the thermostat housing connected? are you using the Civic engine harness with added wires for the injectors and the CYL sensor?

Yes, the injectors and ecu are obd1, or are they? The injectors do have a resistor. And I didn't get a jumper harness like I should have but I managed to get all the wires from the chassis.(alot of solder and heatshrink) And no, I'm not using the civic wiring harness, I moved in the accord one and rewired alot. But I'm still confused, if the injectors have a resistor box (which they do) then they aren't OBD1?

if the injectors have a resistor box (which they do) then they aren't OBD1?
correct, they could be the same as OBD0 with resistor box, but with the ECU still OBD1 - as long as you have all of the wires on the engine harness connected to the matching wire in the chassis harness and going to the correct location at the ECU you should be o.k.

one thing to consider is the fuel pump. Typically, carbureted engines run on less fuel pressure than fuel injected engines. I'm not sure on the civic, but in general terms, carburetors use less pressure than fuel injection. idling fuel pressure for a 92 accord is 40-47 psi

I just looked into it more and it isn't the lack of fuel pressure.
Its definatly somthing miss-wired or not grounded or somthing.

Besides, once I'm done anyone would be able to drop-in and bolt on an H-22 or I was maybe going to buy another F22 and build it hi-comp and non-turbo while I wear out this engine then swap in the other F22 all built, I'm sure it cant be very much slower than the H22.
the F22 is FAR FAR FAR slower than an H22
140 vs 200 hp?
come on, night and day diffrence...
even H23 to H22 is a HUGE diffrence...
i know first hand on this one...

sounds like something is definately wired wrong... may god have mercy on your project... i can only imagine how many wires were cut and spliced...

need ur help

im doing a f22 swap into my 89 ef i could really use your help bearly about to pull the d15b2 out.

but if he did the zc, wouldn't he still have to do a mpfi swap?

DID YOU NOT SEE MY POST RIGHT ABOUT YOURS? THIS CONVERSATION IS THREE YEARS OLD. STOP COMMENTING ON IT. THE GUY THAT STARTED THIS THREAD IS NOT HERE ANYMORE.

Okay?

Last edited:
Back