swaping out f series from 92 prelude

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

derekburress

MadCityLude
:worthy: I recently purchased a 1999 Type S H22a for my 1992 Prelude and need help. I need to know what special parts I am going to need to complete the swap. I only have the engine tranny and ecu with full harness. PLEASE HELP. Thank You B)
A couple things I am curious about, 1st and foremost I think my F series is using a cable clutch and the H22 uses a hydraulic how do I make this work. Second I do not have a full clip only engine, ECU, and trans., will I need the axles and other drive parts, or will my current attach easy. Also about header and exhaust I am planning to purchase new, but do I buy for the 1999 H22A type S or mix and match, or will I need a custom job done? Also I recently installed a TEIN SS suspension will I need to replace any of it do to the extra weight... I have read that the H22 will be heavier buy at least 60lbs is that true? Another concern is AC. Will the AC from my F series attach or not? Any help you can give is very appreciated.

Oh yea one more thing as far as the H22 is concerned what do you recommend doing to it before the install. It only has 36,000 on it and it runs strong but was in a serious wreck.

theabsolute easiest way to do it (which will be a little more expensive)

is to change the distributor & injectors to OBD-1, use the f22 engine wire harness and add in the additional wires for vtec then get a p13 ecu.

Again this is the easiest way to do it.

Originally posted by sleepn_accord@Mar 16 2004, 05:08 PM
theabsolute easiest way to do it (which will be a little more expensive)

is to change the distributor & injectors to OBD-1, use the f22 engine wire harness and add in the additional wires for vtec then get a p13 ecu.

Again this is the easiest way to do it.

What is my other option consist of.

You would need the engine harness all the way to the ECU, and you would use a Conversion harness between the OBD1 ECU and the OBD2 Harness. If you don't use a conversion harness, the wiring mess created would be hell. Plug and play is worth the extra money. Modifying your harness would be much easier than reconfiguring it.

Honestly, the conversion harness is expensive too.

I believe you can rewire the components to have them work with OBD1(injectors,dizzy). It can be done, but people post all the time asking how to do it with little help.

Unless you are really good at wiring..............

I agree with sleepn_Accord

Originally posted by derekburress@Mar 15 2004, 04:46 AM
:worthy: I recently purchased a 1999 Type S H22a for my 1992 Prelude and need help.

Nice purchase!

I'll answer what I can and organize your questions for others to add their replies too so maybe you can track the answers easier.

1. Hydraulic Clutch: Not sure about this. I'm guessing that you might need to hit up a junk yard and get some parts from a Prelude that has the Hydraulic clutch parts and reservoir. Hopefully, someone who knows about this will reply.

2. Weight - I have an H22A in my 95 Accord with H&R springs meant for the Accord and have no handling or weight problems. Not sure if the 1999 H22A S is heavier than your stock F series in your 92 Prelude or not but I would assume your Tein springs will be fine with the H22A S if you replaced your shocks with something better than stock shocks at the same time as you replaced your stock springs.

3. Axles: Not totally sure about the width differences between the two preludes. Hopefully they'll be the same width. On the Accord it takes the hybrid of the two axles halfs to make it work from the Prelude and the Accord.

4. Header: I don't think you want to replace the S type header as it's a good header already. It may be longer or shorter than your type F series so you might have to have an exhaust place modify the down pipe to fit your stock cat. Might as well get a high flow cat while you're at it as your 92 cat is getting old. Random Technologies makes a nice high flow cat that would probably work with your application.

5. A/C: Not sure about this either. The A/C on the 5th gen Accords attach nicely to the H22A without much modifications. Cam AKA detaila would know more about that as he just did the H22a swap in his 95 Accord and I don't have A/C in mine.

6. REPLACE: Timing belt and water pump replacement is always good. 36K isn't many miles and I'm not sure on the 99 Prelude Type S specs but I think if I am remembering right according to my 94 H22A Helms manual the first timing belt replacement specs calls for 60K then 90K on the subsequent replacements.

7. OTHER: You need to purchase a 1999 Prelude service manual from helms if you haven't already. It's about $70 or so but well worth it. Here's the link
www.helminc.com

8. ENGINE MOUNTS: I'm not sure about the engine mounts if they will be the same or not? Anyone know? On the Accord you have to frankenstein the driver's side mount together from the Accord and the Prelude to get it to work. However, try contacting http://www.placeracing.com as maybe they make some mounts if you end up needing them.

That's about it for now. Sorry I don't know more but hopefully more people will reply to your questions.
Bruce

how much did you pay for that motor cause i have a 93 prelude that is an auto that i need to put a new motor into and i am trying to find a good motor to put into it.... i want to put an h22 into it but it is alot of money and i was wondering all the different motors i could put into it without a whole bunch of hiddin costs.....let me know how it works out and the problems that you run into..... appreciate it

Thanks to DOHC_Accord for selling me his wrecked Accord, my motor came with a wrecked Accord that I restored but he did all the swap work :) It gives me great pleasure that I saved a fast Accord from the wrecking yard!

Anyway, for engine sources here are two but others will know more about these two sources if they are good sources or not. Other people hopefully will speak up and give some recommendations

Click here to see a list of engine suppliers

Look towards the top of that web page as I have a couple of engine sources listed

Bruce

Back