swaping to d16z6

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hb90racer

ok i have a 1990 hatchback i guess std its got a 4 spd and it has the d15b1 pos ok i have a d16z6 i got the whole car or 300bucks everything and anything i need i just need to know what should i do about the wiring harness how and what should i pull and so on and so forth the civic the motor is coming out of has a auto trans any kinda info would great thanks

i would but i really cant find what i need i dont want to read about swapin a b18 thats not what i got and thats the reason that i asked

Best bet is to find a 90-91 CRX Si or Civic Si Tranny and Axles. Then use your stock harness, distributor get 4 OBD0 injectors adn wire the car for OBD0 which it already is. then buy a vtec conversion harness for OBD-0 to OBD-1 from vtecfrog .com adn run your VTEC wires.

Originally posted by brian11to1@Nov 29 2004, 11:33 PM
Best bet is to find a 90-91 CRX Si or Civic Si Tranny and Axles. Then use your stock harness, distributor get 4 OBD0 injectors adn wire the car for OBD0 which it already is. then buy a vtec conversion harness for OBD-0 to OBD-1 from vtecfrog .com adn run your VTEC wires.
[post=423916]Quoted post[/post]​

if you're telling him to convert to obd1, then no, he can't use his stock distributor and you forgot to tell him to use the p28 ecu for the d16z6 also and the fact that si axles don't fit std hubs so that won't work either ;) basically, if you convert to obd1 which would be the best way so that you could use the appropriate ecu for the engine, you'll need the d16z6, your current tranny and axles will work fine, obd0 to obd1 conversion harness (with subharness), 4 wire o2 sensor, d16z6 distributor and that's about it. as far as the procedure, take the tranny/flywheel/clutch off of your d15 and put it on the new d16, the engine will drop right in, i believe you just have to take the driver side mount off the old engine, and put it on the new engine (that may only be for the jdm d15b, someone correct me if i'm wrong please). then you're going to want to plug up the ecu conversion harness to the ecu plugs and the obd1 p28, then run the subharness wires inside the engine bay for wiring up the 4 wire o2 sensor, distributor and vtec (the wiring info can be found easily with some searching). you'll want to use your obd0 injectors on the obd1, but use the obd1 distributor.

Originally posted by projekteg+Nov 30 2004, 08:59 AM-->
brian11to1
@Nov 29 2004, 11:33 PM
[post=423916]Quoted post[/post]​

if you're telling him to convert to obd1, then no, he can't use his stock distributor and you forgot to tell him to use the p28 ecu for the d16z6 also and the fact that si axles don't fit std hubs so that won't work either ;) basically, if you convert to obd1 which would be the best way so that you could use the appropriate ecu for the engine, you'll need the d16z6, your current tranny and axles will work fine, obd0 to obd1 conversion harness (with subharness), 4 wire o2 sensor, d16z6 distributor and that's about it. as far as the procedure, take the tranny/flywheel/clutch off of your d15 and put it on the new d16, the engine will drop right in, i believe you just have to take the driver side mount off the old engine, and put it on the new engine (that may only be for the jdm d15b, someone correct me if i'm wrong please). then you're going to want to plug up the ecu conversion harness to the ecu plugs and the obd1 p28, then run the subharness wires inside the engine bay for wiring up the 4 wire o2 sensor, distributor and vtec (the wiring info can be found easily with some searching). you'll want to use your obd0 injectors on the obd1, but use the obd1 distributor.
[post=424048]Quoted post[/post]​

Yep sound about right to me you will need a resistor box depending upon the injectors you use. I used A SI distrubutor but you have to have it modified to retard the timing. The 4 spd tranny will lag a little from 1st into 2nd because the gears are so long. I say use a 5spd dx or si tranny. I've used all three I like the si better. I only used the 4spd when my 5spd dx went bad. Find some Si spindles and hubs or dx, most of the stuff you need can be found here on hondaswap I have a lot dseries stuff laying around. No need to run vtec right now with no good tranny so its best to find you pm6 (88-91) si ecu use your harness and break the motor in. You can run the engine off a Pr3 or Pwo ecu obd0 vtec ecu I did that also runs alittle rich you ask me but works great. If you build the motor its not that bad but Bseries is better.

Im sorry I forgot a few key points. But, couldnt he run a VAFC to control VTEC, thus keeping the car OBD0.

Im sorry I forgot a few key points. But, couldnt he run a VAFC to control VTEC, thus keeping the car OBD0.

i dont know bout that. to run obd0 doesnt he have to get a chipped obd0 ecu for vtec? just adding a controller wont make it work will it. it just controls it once its there but doesnt make it apear. but i wouldnt fuck with the obd0 id stick with obd1 cuz thats (to me) the easies to work with

Save the headaches and just swap in a zc, thats my recommendation. All you will have to do other than switching hubs and axles if you change the transmission is to wire for mpfi and change the ecu. I think that my d16a6 in my crx was much faster than my z6 wired obd0. I also think when I did it in my Civic that my crx si was faster. I just don't like the swap.

I have done the d16z6 swap twice. You will have to keep the bracket from your drivers side mount and put it on the new engine. I believe you will need a sensor off of the block of your original engine. (Its been a while since I did the swap). You can wire for 0bd0 or obd1. I prefer obd1 because the car runs better with the proper ecu, and you don't have to mickey mouse the distributor on. IF you stay obd0 you will have to modify the distributor.

Are you just doing the swap for more power or are you doing it because the block is shot? There are some people on Honda-tech who had stds and ran some low 15 second time slips without doing an engine swap. The engine responds well to the mpfi swap, and you will need to change the tranny out for a dx or si one.

Originally posted by Jeef@Dec 1 2004, 04:35 PM
Save the headaches and just swap in a zc, thats my recommendation. All you will have to do other than switching hubs and axles if you change the transmission is to wire for mpfi and change the ecu. I think that my d16a6 in my crx was much faster than my z6 wired obd0. I also think when I did it in my Civic that my crx si was faster. I just don't like the swap.

I have done the d16z6 swap twice. You will have to keep the bracket from your drivers side mount and put it on the new engine. I believe you will need a sensor off of the block of your original engine. (Its been a while since I did the swap). You can wire for 0bd0 or obd1. I prefer obd1 because the car runs better with the proper ecu, and you don't have to mickey mouse the distributor on. IF you stay obd0 you will have to modify the distributor.

Are you just doing the swap for more power or are you doing it because the block is shot? There are some people on Honda-tech who had stds and ran some low 15 second time slips without doing an engine swap. The engine responds well to the mpfi swap, and you will need to change the tranny out for a dx or si one.
[post=424655]Quoted post[/post]​

88 -91 Si dizzy will do the trick there are many ways to run vtec but you have to make sure fuel and everything is compensated for when it kicks in. No doubt this swap is easy.

Yeah the dizzy will fit but you have to modify it to fit. I don't know about you but I would rather have all 3 bolts holding my distributor in that 2 on a hacked one.

Originally posted by Jeef@Dec 1 2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah the dizzy will fit but you have to modify it to fit. I don't know about you but I would rather have all 3 bolts holding my distributor in that 2 on a hacked one.
[post=424838]Quoted post[/post]​

It will hold just find, the distrubutor is spent by the cam, no pressure is apllied it spends freely.

I had one that still leaked.

ok so let me see if i understand all this ok i need is a p28 ecu, conversion harness (with subharness), where would be a good cheap fast place to get one from and thats it it will all plug up and run just like that ok what if the ecu is for on auto will it still work im so so so close to havin my damm car back :worthy: like i said i dont know if i can use it but i have the whole car still what all can i swap for the harrnes bs cause im a broke joke now

Back