swapped zc wont start

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1stcar86z

ok so i did a sohc zc swap in my 91 dx hatch civic project car. ANd i have run into a couple of problems. The first problem is the car is only getting spark to the 1st and 3rd cyl. THe dizzy is brand new.
i bought my harness from hasport and they sent me the dohc zc harness. I didnt realize this until a while later because i was out of state working. But i took the dizzy and wired it up according to diagram. Nothing happened.
I am wondering if there are some pins that need to be moved around at the ecu for the Dohc harness to work for the sohc motor.
Ohh and i am running the proper ecu? its a pm 6

the only difference between the SOHC ZC and DOHC ZC engine harnesses is the distributor connector - nothing is different at the ECU - the SOHC has a round 7-wire connector at the distributor and the DOHC has a rectangular 5-wire connector - in addition, the DOHC has another 2-wire connector which goes to the cylinder sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft - to rewire the DOHC distributor connector to the SOHC connector, you need to swap a round 7-wire connector from the 88-91 CRX/Civic D16A6 or 88-91 CRX HF or 90-91 Integra B18A1 in place of the rectangular 5-wire connector - you need to remove the 2-wire connector that went to the cylinder sensor on the DOHC and incorporate those 2 wires into the round 7-wire connector

the picture below shows the wire locations in the 2 connectors - before you remove the 2-wire cylinder sensor connector from the harness, mark which wire goes to the blue/yellow on the sensor and which one goes to the blue/green so that you can get them in the right locations on the 7-wire connector

DizzyConn-3.jpg

Last edited:
ok well ive done that with 2 different dizzys. im starting to think its an ecu prob. because it is throwing code 8 and 9 and on both dist. Does that sound right? Is there any way i can check?

okay so i Replaced the ecu and it is not throwing code 8 and nine anymore but it still will not start. It is getting weak to no spark on intermittent cylinders. I have tested compression and mechanical timing on the the motor and thats all fine. There are new spark plug wires on it and a new dizzy.

Please help I will answer any questions. I need to get this thing runniing. I am capable of running tests. ANy ideas guy really.

I hate electrical.

Back