Swappin My 91 CRX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Luckyax2

Ok I am kinda new to the whole engine swap scene. I used to have a 1997 Acura 3.0 cl and now I have this 1991 CRX. First off I know I wanna go B18, but wich one? with the B18C is all I need the mounting kits? The two engines I am looking at come with the ECU and tranny.
The B18C5 needs the engine mount and OBDII conversion doesnt it? Is this costly? Will I need to relocate my battery?
I can get the B18C5 for 1g more (with LSD) and didnt know if it would cost even more to get it running. Any thoughts?

Definatly go with the b18c, the C5 is such a waste of money. If you want a Type R, just get the GSR (b18c), and buy the Type R cams and Intake Manifold. Then you'll still have money left over to do whatever. The GSR is a lot easier to put in an EF civic also, A lot of people dont realize how much it takes to put in a Type R. So what you need to do, is go with the B18C and hook it up to a b16 tranny. If you use the GSR tranny, then youll have to spend an extra 500 or 600 bucks to buy the hydraulic mount kit. My buddy has a GSR with a b16 tranny in his 93 hatch and he hands just about everyone he races their ass.

Originally posted by ballinhatch@Sep 12 2003, 02:43 PM
Definatly go with the b18c, the C5 is such a waste of money. If you want a Type R, just get the GSR (b18c), and buy the Type R cams and Intake Manifold. Then you'll still have money left over to do whatever. The GSR is a lot easier to put in an EF civic also, A lot of people dont realize how much it takes to put in a Type R. So what you need to do, is go with the B18C and hook it up to a b16 tranny. If you use the GSR tranny, then youll have to spend an extra 500 or 600 bucks to buy the hydraulic mount kit. My buddy has a GSR with a b16 tranny in his 93 hatch and he hands just about everyone he races their ass.

he said he can get it for a grand more, type r cams are around 500, manifold is 250 so your at 750 and still dont have the same performance as the stock r. 91 crx your going to have to change the tranny or get a conversion kit, cable to hydro which i dont think is released yet. type r motor in a crx is very fast, you dont have to convert your car to obd 2 you can just convert the motor to obd 0, injectors and distributor from a 1st gen b16 will work. if im wrong on any of this someone correct me. most likely you can sell all the parts you change out like the injectors and dizzy and if you change the tranny you will be able to sell that no problem for a decent amount.

list of items
if you go b18c, b18c-r

mount kit for a b series in a crx
obd0 injectors
obd0 vtec distributor
cable tranny or get the conversion kit
obd0 ecu from a b16 and get it chipped
anthing else anyone

Youre right that will work but i would still go with the GSR, they make more aftermarket parts for it and i dont know if its just me, but i would feel like a dousche bag hookin a b16 tranny up to a ITR engine. :slap:

more parts available for the gsr? how do you figure that? 1st gen b16 tranny has almost the same gearing as a type r and you can get them with an lsd. my friend ran 12.3 on slicks in his crx with a type r motor and b16 tranny with an lsd.

uh, which b18c? just a b18c is a LOT of different engines, varying from the SiR-G to the GSR to the ITR in japan, just thought i would clear that up.

anyhow, go with the b18c, chances are they are the same thing but JDM engines are priced cheaper, especially when it comes to the hype r.

Originally posted by ballinhatch@Sep 12 2003, 11:43 AM
The GSR is a lot easier to put in an EF civic also, A lot of people dont realize how much it takes to put in a Type R.

I'd like to know just exactly what you think takes more time? If you're working with an OBDII GSR, it's pretty much gonna be putting in the same engine as the Type-R.

So its worth losing the LSD tranny getting the B18C? What are the major differences between the GSD and SiR?
- I have also heard the octane makes a huge difference. Like in Japan they have 95 octane and thats what I need to run on. is this true?
-If I got the 97 Type R engine it would have OBD I right? And is my CRX OBDI or OBD 0?
-I can get the B18C5 for $4900 with ecu, LSD, and shipping, about a grand less for the B18c. So what should I do? What are the et times difference?

You can get a JDM GSR transmission with an OEM LSD in it. Just do some scrounging around. If you want to turbo the engine later, you might want to just forget the OEM LSD and go with a Quaife, or at least something stronger than OEM that has a lifetime warranty. You can also get an ITR transmission with your GSR- just ask for it and see if your engine retailer will sell you a combo like that.

You can run most JDM engines on 91-93 octane.

1991 and older = non OBD (OBD0 to some people)
1992 - 1995 = OBD1
1996+ = OBD2

The 97 ITR would be an OBD2 engine. There are no OBD1 or non-OBD Integra Type R engines. Your CRX should be non-OBD, unless you're running a 92+ CRX (also known as del Sol).

ET difference? Not really that much...

Back