swapping a b18c1 soon and have a couple questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

evo8

right now i have the stock d16..and am planning on swapping it out to a b18c1 this fall. since its some ways away...i want to get a short shifter now. will the B&M short shifter work with the b18c1 also?? with the stock shift linkage from the b18c???

thanks
-Mike

heres the link to the B&M shifter im thinking about getting...short shifter

i'm not sure about the fitment, but i can tell you that i rather stick with the stock gsr if it comes with the shift linkage. It's pretty darn smooth and i think short enough already. just my opinion

people have been telling me that it WILL fit...but non of those people have a b18c in there eg...so im kinda stumped on how they know it WILL fit.

is there anyone out there running a similar setup that i want to run??

it won't. my gurls eg hatch that i swapped didn't fit. stick with stock GSR like sihatchback said, it's not so bad

damn, that sucks.

but one last question. im buying the motor from HMO there compete swap. will i be able to also use the stock axels and motor mounts?? and for you that have bought from them...do they also include the shifter itself, i know they include the shift linkage.

thanks for the help again
-Mike

Originally posted by evo8@Jun 10 2005, 12:01 AM
damn, that sucks.

but one last question. im buying the motor from HMO there compete swap. will i be able to also use the stock axels and motor mounts?? and for you that have bought from them...do they also include the shifter itself, i know they include the shift linkage.

-Mike
[post=510498]Quoted post[/post]​

You have to get B series axles. for the mounts, you can only use the upper tranny mount. You have to get GSR driver side, lower ac bracket, tranny bracket, and T mount. HMO is good, but pretty darn pricey. the shifter is probably included.

Originally posted by sihatchback_RL+Jun 10 2005, 12:29 AM-->
@Jun 10 2005, 12:01 AM
damn, that sucks.

but one last question.  im buying the motor from HMO there compete swap.  will i be able to also use the stock axels and motor mounts??  and for you that have bought from them...do they also include the shifter itself, i know they include the shift linkage.

-Mike

You have to get B series axles. for the mounts, you can only use the upper tranny mount. You have to get GSR driver side, lower ac bracket, tranny bracket, and T mount. HMO is good, but pretty darn pricey. the shifter is probably included.
[post=510502]Quoted post[/post]​

well when i said stock...i meant it as in a stock gsr with the stock axels and mounts that come with the gsr engine/swap.

but since im going to get the swap this fall...im pretty sure im going to just go ahead and get the short shifter, and the THRUST shift knob anyway. this way i will have the knob for when i do the swap and i can just sell the short shifter since its not compatible. come to think of it...what would i have to do to make the B&M short shifter compatible with the B18C1 into my car??? just wondering.

-Mike

Originally posted by f20b_crxsi@Jun 10 2005, 05:48 AM
it won't. my gurls eg hatch that i swapped didn't fit. stick with stock GSR like sihatchback said, it's not so bad
[post=510493]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, it will, they are the exact same part. Just because you did something wrong, doesn't mean it isn't the right part, so please don't tell people it won't.

#45047 dual bend

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01

#45074 race (comes with spherical bearing and housing)

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01

#45075 straight

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01

Originally posted by evo8+Jun 9 2005, 10:41 PM-->
right now i have the stock d16..and am planning on swapping it out to a b18c1 this fall. since its some ways away...i want to get a short shifter now. will the B&M short shifter work with the b18c1 also?? with the stock shift linkage from the b18c???

thanks
-Mike

heres the link to the B&M shifter im thinking about getting...short shifter
[post=510449]Quoted post[/post]​

Originally posted by evo8@Jun 10 2005, 12:01 AM
damn, that sucks.

-Mike

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Jun 10 2005, 02:31 AM
f20b_crxsi
@Jun 10 2005, 05:48 AM
[post=510493]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes, it will, they are the exact same part. Just because you did something wrong, doesn't mean it isn't the right part, so please don't tell people it won't.

#45047 dual bend

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01

#45074 race (comes with spherical bearing and housing)

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01

#45075 straight

Civic '88-'00
CRX '88-'00
del Sol '93-'97
Integra (Acura) '90-'01
[post=510545]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm just gonna put my two cents in. 92b16vx has come to earn my respect because he knows what he is talking about and isn't a dick when n00b's start asking questions. However I will have to make a comment about several things because although he has correctly stated that the B&M shifter will work for either application, it may not work for both when ordered for the D-series.

HMO is the shit bar none. When I bought my SIR G swap (all of two years ago) their were a lot of companys selling the same thing for a little cheeper ($50~150 bucks) and some as much as $500 more. In my opinion (and I'm sure this is why H motors is so well known) is that you pay for their time and service making the $150 difference. Their is a lot of competion out their and service is what sets these guys apart. IF you have a problem, broken part, incomplete order or whatever, they will take care of you with limited effort on your part.

Second: My swap that I ordered came with the stock GSR shifter. However I had the B&M edge short throw from the stock motor. Now I have to defend f20b_crxsi because he may have experienced the same thing that I did with his application which gave him his point of view. Not bad mouthing ya 92b16vx, just another set of eyes lookin at the post.

The shifter link connection is physically larger for the SIR G then on the D-series and B&M. When I orginally bought the B&M, it only came with some o-rings for the wrist pin and two for either side of the shift fork on the shift linkage. Since then, the nylon bushings required for correct fitment may automatically come with shifter to fit all applications listed or it may be on an as needed basis becasue they asked me the application of the vechicle that it was going into when I placed my order. Not having these nylon bushings when I swaped the engine, I smashed the larger fork from the SIR G shift linkage down so that it would fit the B&M shifter and could drive the car. I called B&M some time later for the bushings needed but never used them because I got the Neuspeed shifter instead (which is a whole new topic).

Last: It has already been answered but I thought that I would add some becasue I'm awake when I should be sleeping :p

The stock D-serises axles blow. They are dam close to the size of the rear wheel axles on AWD CRV's which is small. The B-series are much beefier. The other thing is that the SIR G is equal lengh axles which aids in reducing tourque steer. The D's are not, hence the combination is why they blow.

My 2 cents. And I expect change beitches!

Ok, when you order shocks from say, Tokico, for an EK, they are the same ones you get when you order them for an EG, the difference is, you use the included washers to make up the difference in the space between the bushing collar and the fork, but it is the same part. If you need a bushing to fit a different sized fork in a shiftlinkage, but otherwise, it's the same, would it make sense to make a completely different part, or just make a bushing that will fit? Honda may, because they are going to makle then for evreyone of the cars that gets made, aftermarket companies don't because they are selling parts that people may buy and put on, so when there is a part like that, that only requires a washer, it stands to reason that you would maybe lose money by making two nearly identical parts.

As your experiance has shown the obstacle can be easily overcome, either by modifing the linkage as you did, or by using a spacer, but it is still the same part. If you can't think freely enough to figure out how to fit it, you still shouldn't be telling people it won't work, when it will, or that it isn't the same part, when it is.

BTW, I vote for using the OEM piece anyway :)

on the swap source...I am about 75% complete with an Hmotor's full swap. The shifter came complete with my swap, linkage, boot and shifter handle too. Don't know if it is normally shipped. I did install the B&M short shifter too. Everything looked real good but I would probably skip buying the axels since they had cracked boots. Don't get me wrong they were complete and would likely work...but....Rebuilding was a lot of work and complete axels are not too expensive...

awsome info!! thanks for the help. i just ordered my b&m short shifter today WOOT!!

Back