Swapping a D15B Vtec into my 90 CRX DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Does anyone know what kind of Cam would I get for the d15b vtec engine? Would I need to get a Honda CRX DX or SI or something else? I was looking to upgrade. Thanks.

Also with a 1.5 L engine would I want to use a 2.5" catback setup or a 2 3/8" setup so I wont lose to much back pressure.

it is easier to modifly the dx harness.... but you have to use a crx si distributor... unless you go with 0bd1..... the si distributor has a crank angle sensor that you must have for muti port system... the dx distributor does not have this sensor. your injectors will not fire correctly without this sensor. good luck.. it is a easy swap

Thanks for the input, I was gonna use the distributor that came on my motor it seems to be all intact and in good shape. But if it fails ill just run to the jnk yard and grab an crx si distributor. Thanks again.

when you talk about useing an OBD0 dizzy does it matter what D series dizzy???
88-91 HF 88-91Si 88-91DX/std?
so if i use the PR3 or PW0 ecu and a OBD0 88-91 D series dizzy that will make it obd0 setup right??
i'm sure the ecu listed will work since you guys know more than me but how since teh ecu are for a B16a which is dohc, or do they all have about the same sensors and thats what the ecu worries about not dohc or sohc.
I;m just a n00b trying do decied which swap to do.
i'm haveing a hard time with this

You must use a 4th gen d series distributor from a car with mpfi if you are running mpfi.

Originally posted by Jeef@Jun 9 2004, 09:10 AM
You must use a 4th gen d series distributor from a car with mpfi if you are running mpfi.

4g wont work on that head....use the 5g obd1 dist(and splice on obd0 plugs) run two extra wires back to ecu. since your going dpfi to mpfi this wont be a problem since your running wires back anyways. if you go with the 4g dist youll have to do cut off the ears and hold it on with washers.. and who wants to have their shit held on with washer? not i. secondly the 92-95 injectors will work and if your getting the harness with them its really easy. just use the injector subharness from your 5g harness and your good(no ugly fuel rail, nice intake, no ugly resistor box). ive done many of these swaps if you want specifics pm me. if you are getting an ecu with this spend the extra 150 for a obd0 to obd1 conv. harness youll thank yourself in the end for running obd1

It will with modification.
The 4th gen dx distributor will not work.

Originally posted by Jeef@Jun 9 2004, 10:35 PM
It will with modification.
The 4th gen dx distributor will not work.

modification? screw chopping ears and holding washers...its very half ass. and of course the dx dizzy wont work but i think i covered that seeing as how i said you have to add two wires back to the ecu. o well whatever he does, he doesnt need to half ass something as important as the distribtor.

Are you sure the 5th gen distributor will work if he goes obd1. I have heard many times it wont.

absolutely ive used it myself. it has all the same sensors as the obd0 hf or si. you run into problems with the obd2 distributor since the crank angle sensor is actually on the crank when you try to run it on obd1 or obd0 but you can make it work.

I tried doing this, I have a short somewhere in the car that I need to find so I can't tell if it worked yet. But I am assuming that the yellow stripped wire goes to one of the white wires? That is the only wire that doesnt match.

Is there anything special you have to do to get it to work? There are a shitload of people who keep saying it won't work, a lot with proof it won't work.

Originally posted by Jeef@Jun 13 2004, 07:13 PM
I tried doing this, I have a short somewhere in the car that I need to find so I can't tell if it worked yet. But I am assuming that the yellow stripped wire goes to one of the white wires? That is the only wire that doesnt match.

Is there anything special you have to do to get it to work? There are a shitload of people who keep saying it won't work, a lot with proof it won't work.

solder on obd0 plugs onto the obd one dizzy.....match the orange, orange/blue, white and white/blue, place the fatter white wire where the yellow/green wire went. swap pins on the other plug with the black/yellow and blue wires. also match the blue/yellow, and blue/green wires.

I am currently working on a similar project. good thing it's not my daily driver. I am at the same point as you are. I just wired up the dizzy last night. I am doing the swap to my HF. the white wire that goes in the yellow/green is the one wire that goes to the 14pin connector. you can check it with a continuity tester (DMM). I found it while I was hooking it up last night. I am almost done with the wiring and just need to hook up my hoses and should have some results by this weekend.

wish me luck

Back