swapping ABS brakes onto a non-ABS car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

seanjuan

I am looking at picking up a full GSR brake swap and am wondering if it will even work seeing as my 92 lx didn't have ABS and I'm pretty sure all GSR's did
seems like there should be no difference as far as the calipers go but wanted to ask around and find out for sure

if anyone knows I'd apreciate some comments

thanks

should make no diffrence...

i would advise against trying to hook up ABS in your car...

but just using the regular braking system should be fine...

Originally posted by reckedracing@Apr 12 2005, 02:21 PM
should make no diffrence...

i would advise against trying to hook up ABS in your car...

but just using the regular braking system should be fine...
[post=486195]Quoted post[/post]​

this is what I figured, no intention of trying to hook up abs

just wanted to confirm it

thanks guys

yep works no problem. Only diffrence is, one of the fittings for the mastercylinder is larger then that on non Abs cars. If your planning on swapping mastercylinders, you will have to change that fitting (believe its the rear one) As for the calipers and everything else, theres no problems there. I have GSR brakes on my sol and I love them.

Done it a few times, just remove are ABS sensors and wires from the arms before you install them. You don't have to, but it looks nicer.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 12 2005, 05:51 PM
yep works no problem. Only diffrence is, one of the fittings for the mastercylinder is larger then that on non Abs cars. If your planning on swapping mastercylinders, you will have to change that fitting (believe its the rear one) As for the calipers and everything else, theres no problems there. I have GSR brakes on my sol and I love them.
[post=486316]Quoted post[/post]​

so you had to put a new fitting on that line then?
and also bend the lines to make them line up with the gsr MC... or can you just buy the lines/find the lines off of a gsr and put those on... between the MC and the prop valve....

did you replace your prop valve also.... that is the only thing I don't have and I'm wondering if I should find one

The rear fitting on some of the 15/16's MC is bigger than the Civic one, so you need to cut the line, add new fitting and reflare it. You can bend the lines with a line bender, don't try to do it by hand, you'll pinch them. You can pick up a 91 EX MC, or an Integra LS, RS, GS one, they line up perfect witht eh Civic lines so you don't have to bend anything.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@Apr 18 2005, 01:03 AM
The rear fitting on some of the 15/16's MC is bigger than the Civic one, so you need to cut the line, add new fitting and reflare it. You can bend the lines with a line bender, don't try to do it by hand, you'll pinch them. You can pick up a 91 EX MC, or an Integra LS, RS, GS one, they line up perfect witht eh Civic lines so you don't have to bend anything.
[post=488195]Quoted post[/post]​

thanks
what's your take on the proportioning valve?
is the 3030 valve ok or should it deffinately be swapped for a 4040?

I had the 3030 in my old car with big ass ITR* brakes, and it worked perfectly. As long as you get the prop from a car with rear disc (not even sure if it really makes difference, never swapped just the prop) it is set up right. Mine came of a 90 CRX.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 20 2005, 09:38 AM
3030 or 4040 will split the power about the same.
[post=489187]Quoted post[/post]​

then what the difference between the two? does one flow more than the other? :shrug2:

it doesn't matter. 3030 or 4040 will still split the same amount of fluid to fore and aft the same. volume is determined by the master cyl more than anything else.

the 3040 is from the EG si, and was designed for smaller front rotors than teg's, thus, spliting different.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 20 2005, 01:17 PM
it doesn't matter. 3030 or 4040 will still split the same amount of fluid to fore and aft the same. volume is determined by the master cyl more than anything else.

the 3040 is from the EG si, and was designed for smaller front rotors than teg's, thus, spliting different.
[post=489222]Quoted post[/post]​

good to know
thanks for the input everyone

Back