Swapping B16A2 into '92 EG - Needs advice! Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asin

Hi there,

I have a '92 EG8 civic (D15B2 engine) and a week ago my buddy totaled his car. Now i can buy the engine and the tranny with everything else i need to do the swap, altough, it is not a conventional thing in my area to do things like this, so i have no written resources, and i really need your help!

So far i'd figured out that i'll need the fallowing thingies to make the B16A2 swap into my EG (please warn me if i'm wrong!)

Thingies for the swap:

- Complete B16A2 engine with tranny
- I can use the B-series motor mounts
- I can use the 96-01 GSR or ITR harness to get OBD2->OBD1 wires with OBD2 plugs and OBD1 connector to the ecu (is it?)
- I can use a P30 ecu without modding
- I can use a 94+ Integra (not Type-R) shift linkage, or the linkage came with the B16A2 engine
- I have to do some work with the O2 sensor (4 wire conversion for the P30, but i have no idea what to do with the two O2 sensors - one before the cat, one after the cat. maybe using only one is a solution. dunno.)
- I have wiring diagrams for the ecu (IAT, Knock sensor, VTEC, please warn me about the bottlenecks of the procedure =))
- I can use the axles coming with the B16A2
- radiator hose from a VTEC Del Sol (i'm digging hard u see =))
- throttle body from the B16A2

TO DO for the check-up:

- check or replace the timing belt
- check or replace the water pump
- check or replace the dirtributor parts
- check the sparkplugs
- check the valve clearences

This is what i have so far. The info are far from sure for me, so even if you can say: 'ok, you can do that, i know' i'll be happy. Correct me please in any detail, coz i'd *really* like to do this swap. Any minor changes and suggestions worth time and $$ of corse. =) Don't hesitate to go into details. =)

Great thanks for your help!
- Asin

- Complete B16A2 engine with tranny

Yes

- I can use the B-series motor mounts

Depends on what mounts he was using (year the car was), they might not work on your EG.

- I can use the 96-01 GSR or ITR harness to get OBD2->OBD1 wires with OBD2 plugs and OBD1 connector to the ecu (is it?)

Yes, the 94 Integra harness will plug into you EG's canon plugs.

- I can use a P30 ecu without modding

Um, sure

- I can use a 94+ Integra (not Type-R) shift linkage, or the linkage came with the B16A2 engine

Yes, you can even use the Type R's, you can not however use the linkage from a Del Sol.

- I can use the axles coming with the B16A2

Yes, or any 94+ Integra axles

- I have to do some work with the O2 sensor (4 wire conversion for the P30, but i have no idea what to do with the two O2 sensors - one before the cat, one after the cat. maybe using only one is a solution. dunno.)

Yes, you have to convert to four wire, and no, you won'e be using the second o2. The are four wire conversion instructions in the tech FAQ at the top of the main forum.

- radiator hose from a VTEC Del Sol (i'm digging hard u see =))
- throttle body from the B16A2

Yes

Thanks man, you helped me alot! Yippie! =)

Anyway, you asked about the model, its a Civic from 1996. Things here in europe are definetly not the same. The del sol is called crx here. :) *confusing*

So the car is from 1996, originally built with the B16A2 engine. it is an obd2 car. My car is a '92 EG8, built originally with d15b2. What do you think about the mounts now?

About the harness, i need clear up. I'd read a topic HERE, and it sais:

Find any 1996-2001 Integra engine harness. Ideally it should be a GS-R or Type R unit, but if all you can find is an LS then it's only a few extra wires. I'd imagine they should not be too hard to come by and will cost probably no more than $100.00-$150.00 used and they are only $350.00 or so brand new from Honda if you need a reference point.

If you can locate the 96-01 engine harness then simply plug it into the engine and drop the engine in. Even though the harness is technically "OBD2" trust me it is a direct plug in for the 1992-1995 Civic on the underhood strut tower harnesses.

Uhh. So you say i should use 94 integra harness for the B16A2 ODB2 engine. Can you tell me a bit more about that? can i plug the 94 integra harness directly to the sensor/pump/etc plugs of the b16a2? I don't know shyt about this thing. Um, and one more thing, as far as i'm not a mechanic, and haynes is at home, what are those 'canon plugs'? Thanx. =) If you can tell me more about the harnessing please do. I have to see clearly, coz i have to instruct my man, coz he never did a swap like this. :)

Thanks for the info again, it's a great help for me!

bye
- Asin

Canon plugs, are shock tower plugs, just another name for them. Where in Europe are you? I might be able to help you, I am in Germany.

You would use a 96+ GSR (which we don't have in Germany) or a ITR harness. You wouldn't want to use a 94 because it is OBD I (my bad on that earlier, ou were correct, you need the one that will plug into the motor).

Hey 92b16vx,

Maybe you're the nearest guy on this forum. :) I'm from Hungary. =) But anyway, too good, too far. I have to deal here with my service guy. My first idea was to do a head swap (D15B2 with D16Z6 head) he said it wont work because of the difference in the bores. Aww. 75mm both. =) So thatswhy i need stright directions. :)

Thanks for your help indeed, things are getting clearer. I'll get along with that now, i hope.

Hey, did u noticed that we are in Union now? :) I'd like to ask if you know about online shops in Germany which does international shipping. It would be easier than order stuff outside from Europe. If i need something for my swap i can't get in Hungary it would be faster to order stuff from your country. I'd like to ask about the engine prices in Germany. (B16A2/3 or B18C1) Just in case my guy doubles the price of his engine again. :)

So thanks for your help, as i see that from your nick (92b16vx) you did almost the same swap, can you give me instructions what needs extra care?

Bye, have a nice weekend
- Asin

asin,

Is your D15B vtec or a non-vtec engine? and if its non-vtec, is it a 12-valve engine?

I'm just curious, because if your motor is equivilent to our (US) 92-95 DX engine, you don't need to worry about converting to a 4-wire 02 sensor. And if it has VTEC you don't need to worry about wiring in VTEC either....

just wondering...

Haha, actually, I maybe coming to Hungry to have a turbo made ;) The guy from C2power out there is interested in prototyping one for the B series Civics, so I am trying to get time to get there. He is in Budapest.

My first idea was to do a head swap (D15B2 with D16Z6 head) he said it wont work because of the difference in the bores. Aww. 75mm both. =)
He is wrong, it's called a "mini-me" in the states, and it's done all the time.

There's a few shops here, and a couple good junkyards, B16A2's run about 2000, and hte 1.8's are 2500-3000, ITRs average 4000-4500, this are all Euro prices.

Hi,

Katman: hey, the d15b2 is non-vtec, odb1 (only 1 wire o2 sensor), and it has 16 valves. the most common honda in Hungary, i think. B2 and B7. Anyway, thanks for asking, if you have any suggestions, you know, just say. :)

92b16vx: No sh!t... There is a guy in Hungary who looks for b series for prototype, and he hasn't find one guy? :) hehehe. Maybe i should know this guy if later i'd like to have a turbo...

Hmm, thanks for the prices!

First i happened to read the mini-me you mentioned, i have to tell, i was so impressed i started to plan things, it was a bummer when i realized that my guy knows shit about these things. Anyway, he does swaps, i mean to the same engine. It's a plus here. I've *** heard of *** many people doing swaps here in Hungary, but i've seen no hybrid cars... Altough, there are a few.

Anyway, if you come maybe i can show you my swap. :) (At least i hope! hehehe)

Bye
- Asin

Back