Swapping D16Z6 (93 ex) into 91 hatch std.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Hmmmm...Maybe its time to search for somebody wanting to do a trade..Their cable for my hydro... 5 speed 4 5 speed. . Here is a question for the thread. Do all cable tranny's mount the same way? (Front mount) I can only guess cable tranny's are through 91. Is this a fact?

Yes. The front torque mount on the 92-00 engines are on the engine.

As for the front mount; I installed mount inserts on the rear torque mount and just ditched the front mount.

What I meant by front torque mount is the front tranny mount on EF's. What do you mean by inserts? (the steel mount welded to the sub frame?) I will also have to ditch the front mount (shares the a/c compressor mount) used on EG's unless I want to cut the body and fab a sattle mount.
Also, I just picked up a CRX tranny. Im mostly certain they were all 5 speeds(not 4 speed). Curious if there is a way to distinguish what model CRX it was pulled from the stamped numbers...anyone?

What I meant by front torque mount is the front tranny mount on EF's. What do you mean by inserts? (the steel mount welded to the sub frame?) I will also have to ditch the front mount (shares the a/c compressor mount) used on EG's unless I want to cut the body and fab a sattle mount.
Also, I just picked up a CRX tranny. Im mostly certain they were all 5 speeds(not 4 speed). Curious if there is a way to distinguish what model CRX it was pulled from the stamped numbers...anyone?

Just confirmed from a few articles all 88-91 CRX's were either 4 speed automatic or 5 speed manual. :D

I know exactly what you're talking about. On the 92-00, they removed the front torque mount and put it on the block(on the 88-91, it's on the transmission). On my cousin's LS/VTEC EG, he's not running one due to the lack of space from the RMF header. On my car, I took it out because it made transmission swaps more difficult.

The inserts fill in the open area in the mount with polyurethane. Makes the stock mounts more solid.

All of the 88-91 D-series transmissions are "L3". Just stick a screwdriver in the shifter linkage part and go through the gears. Only the Std Civics were 4-speeds. All CRX's were 5-speed including the HF.

The front torque mount (shares a/c compressor mount) is officially ditched. :alien: I have no doubt the rest of the mounts will hold up fine. As far as progress, I mounted the CRX tranny to the z6..bolted right up as advertised. There are a couple plugs Im a little concerned with.

--Speed sensor/speedo drive (electric to manual) probably leave it unplugged:mellow: (The ef speedo requires a manual drive for a reading anyway)

-- Tranny sensor plug (2 different types.) which to go with:confused:

check the photos..

Attachments

• DSC04441.JPG
    DSC04441.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 584
  • DSC04443.JPG
    DSC04443.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 450
  • DSC04444.JPG
    DSC04444.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 474
  • DSC04446.JPG
    DSC04446.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 533
The front torque mount (shares a/c compressor mount) is officially ditched. :alien: I have no doubt the rest of the mounts will hold up fine. As far as progress, I mounted the CRX tranny to the z6..bolted right up as advertised. There are a couple plugs Im a little concerned with.

--Speed sensor/speedo drive (electric to manual) probably leave the it unplugged:mellow: (The ef speedo requires a manual drive for a reading anyway)

-- Tranny sensor plug (2 different types.) which to go with:confused:

check the photos..

*that is leaving the electric plug unplugged for the speed sensor*

Alright, so I made the initial attempt to drop in the z6. I must have misunderstood other members that have done this same swap state that it is a direct drop in swap, and that "everything" from the 93' ex (eg) will bolt right in. I found out the hard way that the mounts also need to be swapped. It appears the front upper mount(alternator/fenderwell) side will need to be swapped to the EF mount. Since I went with a crx tranny, those mounts lined up. The problem I am facing is the 2 engine mounts are different. The EF uses 2 bolts behind the timing cover, to where the EG has a single bolt. At this point I can only guess I will need a custom mount through hasport or similar. So what am I missing here? :cool:

Alright, so I made the initial attempt to drop in the z6. I must have misunderstood other members that have done this same swap state that it is a direct drop in swap, and that "everything" from the 93' ex (eg) will bolt right in. I found out the hard way that the mounts also need to be swapped. It appears the front upper mount(alternator/fenderwell) side will need to be swapped to the EF mount. Since I went with a crx tranny, those mounts lined up. The problem I am facing is the 2 engine mounts are different. The EF uses 2 bolts behind the timing cover, to where the EG has a single bolt. At this point I can only guess I will need a custom mount through hasport or similar. So what am I missing here? :cool:

There's some misinformation on this thread; but I haven't gone through much of it.

The mounts between them are also different. Swap over your stock 91 mounts onto the engine and transmission. I'm assuming you have a Std, which is what I have; the transmission mount on there is even different from the DX/Si; it's narrower.

It was already stated :p

They're both 2 bolt(the engine bracket). I could take a picture of mine; but you can't see it well anyways.

Here is a point out photo of which mount. Also, never heard back from anyone in reference to ^ the 2 plugs I mentioned.

Attachments

• DSC04435.JPG
    DSC04435.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 660
Special thanks to k2e2vin, for providing some good info in reference to the mounts. Now just need a little more info on the electical plugs I mentioned.,, All ears..I mean eyes:ph34r:

if i remember correctly the 2 plugs on the tranny(bullet plugs) are reverse sensors
so i THINK they just power the reverse lights,as for the speed sensor,your using the cable tranny right???if so then just plug it back in

Just for an update in reference to the electrical plugs. The eg electrical speedo plug will not be used (left unplugged). The other 2 wire plug that mounts on the top side of the tranny is for reverse lights. ^_^

:ph34r:
Just for an update in reference to the electrical plugs. The eg electrical speedo plug will not be used (left unplugged). The other 2 wire plug that mounts on the top side of the tranny is for reverse lights. ^_^

injen..was it something I said? Anybody doing a swap for the first time is full of iddiotic/uneducated questions. Also just learned that the eg ex harness does me no good still mounted to the motor. The stock EF harness with an (obd-0 to 1) ecu jumper and a dpfi to mpfi conversion eliminates the eg harness. If it were me reading another members thread I would have asked why the electric speed sensor is even there. Was hoping an experienced member would have caught that :huh: Feel free to post your knowledge if you have done this swap and what to expect. :cool:

Approaching swap completion. Stumbled but made it through, some subharness electrical connections with some help from fellow members. I must say, there is a ton of contradicting info out there. Actual wire diagrams is what helps most. Will post some photos soon..Thanks for all that has helped so far.:thumbsup: you know who you are

Back