Swapping gears?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

disableddan

Crazy Insane
Hello all,

I'm just wondering about swapping gears around in my ef's trans, I'm wondering if it's possible to swap 2nd gear into the spot of 1st, 3rd into the spot of 2nd, etc., and then replace 5th with a higher gear from some other honda tranny? Does anyone know if this mystery 5th gear would be available and if this would be possible?
From watching/reading about turbo civs it seems 1st gear becomes slightly useless except for burnouts... wanting to solve that problem before it is one!

Thanks!

you cannot swap 2nd for 1st and 3rd for 2nd gears in the L3 transmission - 1st and 2nd gears on the mainshaft are fixed as a part of the shaft itself and are not removeable - longer ratio 5th gears from 88-91 CRX HF (0.694:1) or from 92-95 Civic (0.702:1) will work in the L3

the best that you could do would be to use a CRX HF transmission and swap an aftermarket 3.08 1st gear into it

Last edited:
you cannot swap 2nd and 3rd gears in the L3 transmission - 2nd gear on the mainshaft is fixed as a part of the shaft itself and is not removeable - longer ratio 5th gears from 88-91 CRX HF (0.694:1) or from 92-95 Civic (0.702:1) will work in the L3

This. You can't just swap all the gears out.

Ah ok :mellow: That kinda sucks :D But thanks for the speedy replies! Back to the drawing board...

maybe you should consider replacing the final drive?????????????????????????????

Back