Swapping in B18C

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicfanatic

Guys,

I have a 97 Civic automatic d16y7 (OBD II) of course

planning on a b18C with manual tranny OBD I

HOW HEEEEELLLLPPPPPPPP

Anyone who has done it and can give me a walkthrough or a "things to keep in mind"

Originally posted by revolution8k@Aug 9 2004, 12:29 PM
Aren't B18c's all OBD II besides like 94-96 GSR motors?? Why not get a newer GSR or jdm ITR motor to have the OBD II?

the auto --> manual thing I can't help you on.
[post=]Quoted post[/post]​

Cause the price is right on the 95 GSR

james, you really need to stop replying to topics that you don't have a clue about. seriously.

step 1- putting an older motor than chassis = illegal in most states. consult your laws before you do it.

if you don't care,

you need to re-weld the tranny mount, back about 2 inches.
you need to run an obd2->1 conversion harness, an obd1 ecu, re-wires the injectors, alt, dizzy, extend several other plugs, and then wire in vtec, knock, and IAB, with switching the poliarty on the iab due to the obd switch.
then, you need to run all the manul stuff, medals, shifter cluster, hydrolic fluid lines, clutch master cly, and all that crap.

honestly, you're better off selling your car and buying a manual in the first place.

OK should have been more specific my fault im sorry.

This is the package im buying:

95 JDM GSR B18C with:

· Transmission Hydraulic 5 speed
· ECU P72 OBD-1
· Axels
· Complete Wire Harness
· All mounts
· All sensors
· Alternatur
· Starter
· Disterbuter
· Power Steering Pump
· Exhaust Manifold
· Intake Manifold
· Down Pipe

Im in Canada we dont have any motor/chassis laws at least not in my provience. I am going from OBD II to OBD I and from automatic to manual.

Couple of things:

1. Lots of body, suspension and ICE work so selling the car is not an option. I live in a small provience where an integra GSR or anything else of that class isnt readily available and when they are you pay a premium for it.

2. If anyone can help/have done this swap please help.

Thanks for any and all help/suggestions

im no expert in obd2 and obd1 bullshit but i would probably say....
first do auto to manual conversion on car
then put the motor in, wire up your stock engine harness
get some obd2 dohc vtec injectors
add vtec, vtec oil pressure and knock sensore wires from your ecu to your engine and you should be done

Aren't B18c's all OBD II besides like 94-96 GSR motors?? Why not get a newer GSR or jdm ITR motor to have the OBD II?

wow for 7k posts on a honda site i would hope you are joking....

ive done this swap... fairly easy... automatic to manual conversion is fairly easy and straightforward provided you have the parts... the plugs in the engine bay should match the plugs on the gsr motor.. all you have to do is purchase an obdII to OBDI wiring harnes converter (which i Dont recommend but..) and that way you can plug your p72 obdI ecu in.. these conversion harnesses arent too expensive but your better off just getting an obdII gsr ecu.... all the wires should be correct but i would double check everything! as for the auto to manual conversion I would do it AFTER you drop the motor in BECAUSE you have to see where the transmission will sit so that you can line up your shift linkage correctly... now since your car is an automatic the mount on the passenger side of your car (right next to the shock tower where the air filter is) is 2" higher than it would be if your car was manual.... thats because your auto trans is bigger in overall diameter.... so you can go about this two ways.... either get a mount off a manual civic and weld it in or go the easy way and get a Hasport Mount kit (its a mount that is 2" longer than the mount normally would be so that a manual transmission can fit into a car that has the automatic mount... a little expensive but DEFINATELY worth it...now back to doing the automatic to manual conversion.. its SIMPLE...... this is what you have to do.... remove the plastic trim around the shifter so that you can get to the bolts that hold that automatic shifter... then disconnect all the plugs that are connected to the shifter.. then remove the bolts that hold the shifter... then it will come loose.. the shifter cable will still be connected so disconnect that also.. then toss that piece of shit... next... the 14 wire plug that you disconnected has some wires that are important.. you will see in the middle of the plug 2 thick wires.(i forgot the colors but i will get them for you if you need it) these need to be run to the top of your clutch pedal where there is a switch.. (when you press the clutch it trips the switch which will allow you to start your car.. its a safety things so you dont start your car in gear) you can also just short these wires together... next there will be a grn/black and a green/white wire.. on a separate 2 wire plug that was also connected to the automatic shifter (i think they are the only 2 green wires..) these wires need to be extended to a pair of wires coming out of the manual tranny (on the side of the tranny that faces the radiator) .. these wires will activate your reverse lights... .. LASTLY there are another 2 wires on the 14 pin plug that need to be connected(shorted) together so that you can remove your key from the ignition (keylock) when you turn your car off.. i forgot the 2 colors of the wires but you can find it by searching... and thats it for wiring!!! now you will need the pedal assembly from your year civic (gas and brake are together and the clutch is separate) or you can do it the ghetto way and just get a clutch pedal and have a huge ass brake pedal... get underneath you dash and basically remove your old gas and brake pedal and replace them with the new gas/brake pedal. then install your clutch pedal.. there will be holes already drilled in your firewall.. all you have to do is remove the black plate.. push the master cylinder in from the engine bay.. line it up with the clutch pedal and bolt it down.. it might be confusing but once you see it you will understand how it fits.... also get the hydrolines from your year civic and you will see that they are formed a certain way.. just follow that and they just trace around the engine bay to your slave cylinder.. which should be attached to your tranny already... just connect them and add fluild and bleed the clutch till it works... AGAIN THIS MAY SEEM CONFUSING BUT IT IS VERY EASY AND STRAIGHTFORWARD ONCE YOU SEE THE PARTS AND THE WAY EVERYTHING LAYS OUT....now after dropping the engine into the bay get underneath the car (PLEASE MAKE SURE THE CAR IS SUPPORTED PROPERLY) and connect the shift linkage to the tranny first.... then line the other end to where the auto shifter was and mark the two holes.. drill the holes through the floor and then bolt them .. drop in your shifter (dont buy a short shifter they fuck up the synchros in your tranny) and you should be all set.... double check everything.... you will have to go to a muffler shop and have the exhaust pipe extended a few inches... the auto to manual should take a days work if you have all the parts ready and get an understanding of how they all work.. get a mechanics book off of ebay not a cheap haynes one but something better.... remember all the parts to convert from automatic to manual (ie pedal assembly, clutch master, clutch slave, and hydro lines NEED TO BE FROM A manual civic of your model.. BUT THE shift linkage and shifter need to be from the gsr.... cant think of anything else except that you should try to get the catalytic converter from a gsr also.... if i forgot anything or if you have any question just pm me......

Back