swapping out D15 for D15 or D16 VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

TeamUrbanChaos

Certified H22 Super-tech
my friend has a 1993 honda civic DX with thr 1.5L D15 motor. he was looking at getting the D15B which is the 130Hp SOHC VTEC motor for the civic, but we were also looking at some other D16's as well.. eventually he plans on turboing whatever motor he gets but there were some thing that i wernt sure about:

1) are the "D15" and the "D16" and the "ZC" transmissions interchangable within each other? because we were going to reuse the same tranny if possible.

2) out of the all the "D" series motors...which would be the best for forced inductions.

3) if we were to go with the D15b, which ECU would we need and would it be a direct replacement or will there need to be modifications as far as axles and mouns?

***please le tme kno ASAP as im looking were looking to get this ASAP***

if i was going to be turboing a D series i would stick with the D16Z6
they are literally everywhere and people are damn near giving them away
so if/when he blows up the engine he can get another one pretty much anywhere for probly under $200

1) are the "D15" and the "D16" and the "ZC" transmissions interchangable within each other? because we were going to reuse the same tranny if possible.

2) out of the all the "D" series motors...which would be the best for forced inductions.

3) if we were to go with the D15b, which ECU would we need and would it be a direct replacement or will there need to be modifications as far as axles and mouns?

1: Yes keep in mind cable/cable hydrolic/hydrolic, altho you can buy an 'adaptor' kit.

2: I agree with the guy above me, i have a single cam VTEC motor for sale, and i wouldnt ask for more than $200 for it. (it has been abused, but runs fine)

3: Im GUESSing here, but i think a p28 would run that fine, mounts should work fine, and axles will work.

Wait, dont you need some kind of special axel's for ZC tranny to fit in USDM. I am sure that there is something like that going on.

For induction get a B18A/B or rebuilt D series

If you go with D15B you will need to add a vtec wire and you can probably use P28 ECU thats from 92-95 Civic EX. But for real you should get P08 cuz its got different maps for D15B.

JDM ECUs are ass
most (maybe all) are speed limited at 180km/h (about 112mph)

Originally posted by Niskyspy@May 4 2005, 11:55 AM
Wait, dont you need some kind of special axel's for ZC tranny to fit in USDM. I am sure that there is something like that going on.

[post=494853]Quoted post[/post]​

On the DOHCs, but the SOHCs are the same.

I would just get a D16Z6, just about the same Hp, and no hassle, like mail order.

Back