Swapping questions on a 84 Honda Accord LX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

swearmic

I am replacing my ES2 engine out of my 1984 Honda Accord LX.
But I am trying to find out which new engine would be the most
compaitable for the chassis. I am looking for anything that has EFI,
at least 2.0L. Perferbly VTEC if possible. Any and all advice would be
apperiated.

Thanks..

-Mike

If I remember right, the 84 is the bastard child of accords. Even 83 and 85 are different.

Nothing will fit without modification. That being said, the sky is the limit if you have the funds.

Originally posted by tab@Jun 9 2004, 12:03 AM
If I remember right, the 84 is the bastard child of accords. Even 83 and 85 are different.

Nothing will fit without modification. That being said, the sky is the limit if you have the funds.

ahh.. figures.. well the car was free at least. :p Now I understand why.

I am planning on using the car for road racing. Obviouslly the engine I have just won't do at all. Well, what engine would you suggest I buy and install? I haven't found much on engine swap mounts for my year. So I assume I'll will have to do all the mod's myself in order to make anything fit?

Thanks again for the help.

- Mike

Originally posted by swearmic@Jun 9 2004, 12:15 AM

ahh.. figures.. well the car was free at least. :p Now I understand why.

I am planning on using the car for road racing. Obviouslly the engine I have just won't do at all. Well, what engine would you suggest I buy and install? I haven't found much on engine swap mounts for my year. So I assume I'll will have to do all the mod's myself in order to make anything fit?

Thanks again for the help.

- Mike

Given the size of your car, and your intent, I'd B16 it. The B16 would be small enough, pack the punch, and has great aftermarket support. Wiring would be hairy. If you were going custom already............I'd try and snag the engine harness, and chassis harness from a OBD1 civic. Use that harness, the B16, and the dash. You don't need blinkers and shit to race.

No matter which way, or what you chose, you're gonna have a handful. You'll wish that you just bought a newer car.

I vote for a OBD 1 civic purchase, or CRX. I love my car, but it's noticeably heavier than a civic, and probably wouldn't handle as well through the corners without a lot of modification.

Back