SWAPPING TROUBLES

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Incredib1e

Ok so heres the thing, I've been searching for a motor and finally found one. I got a 97 B18b and I'm going to drop it into my 98 hatchback. The only question I have is what do to about the exhaust system. The main trouble we're having is with the catalytic converter being right off the manifold. Will the B18b just bolt up or will I have to get a new piping and a new cat? Even my mechanic said that he wasn't sure what would have to happen. All he is worried about is getting the damn thing started but Will I NEED a completely new exhaust?

Maybe I get a new cat down the pipe where an ex would be instead of right off the manifold

well you should get the header that is for that motor, then get the exhaust that is for your chassis, I usually put testpipes in "florida :) " but if you want the cat then I would suggest getting one without flanges and then having a muff shop do the rest of the work

when i did my 2000 ls swap into my old hatch i used the whole exhaust from the teg. i do my own welding and stuff, so all i had to do was short the pipe going from the muffler to the intermediate pipe 2.5" and re-weld it.

but you could go with what incredible1 said and buy a cat and then a new exhaust. but you'll want larger piping cause the tegs exhaust is a little larger than the civic.

good luck

Well bad news I got screwed. The motor that I picked up today was not the right motor. And now they won't give me my money back. The guys being a dick about it. It sucks when you get screwed for 1200.

i already talked to you about this ..... make some calls on monday

:)

yea I know I talked to you. I was just lettin everyone know. I ran the VIN number they gave me on the reciept that said it was a 95 even though they specifically said they were giving me a 97. The VIN checked out to be a 94. Thats nice of them right

EDIT: Oh yea if none of this works out and they still won't give me my money back, all of my girlfriends cousins are lawyers, almost everyone one of them. So either way I'm hoping to get my money back.

CARFAX.COM They give you a free part, it will tell you the make and year of the car and then you pay like 25 dollars to find out the rest of the history on the motor.
pretty easy actually

ok...thanks..I paid for mine at carfax and was happy w/all the info,even had his oil changes at the dealership on it,I did it cause I had to make sure the kid didnt report it stolen but had trouble finding out for free....even the sheriff wouldnt tell me which I thought was wimpy

when i got my swop done we used the same cat that cam on my car it bolted right up to the header that i got for the swop :ph34r:

Originally posted by civicext@Jan 26 2004, 12:14 AM
when i got my swop done we used the same cat that cam on my car it bolted right up to the header that i got for the swop :ph34r:

sometimes that works .... sometimes that is not an option

if you wanna know the year the motor was built check out the stampings on the head...
they have little circles with the year and month indicated on them...

Yea it doesn't matter right now I got rid of that shit. Its a good thing they took it back with no real hassle. Just showed up early this morning and told them I want me money back. Now hopefully I'm a get a 00' swap shipped as soon as I can.

Back