sway bars?? tie rods?? or what?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bdogggut34

My 92 Si came with koni yellows and Tsudo coilovers. I'm looking for a basic beginners suspension setup as far as sway bars and such. The coilovers will be switched with sportlines, it already has front upper strut and rear upper strut bars. Would some suspension technique sway bars and a skunk2 lower rear tie rod bar be a good suspension setup with my koni yellows and sportlines?? Or do you think the Tsudo coilovers are going to be ok?? Just looking for something to have an aggresive ride into corners and have it be fun on windey roads but also be for everyday driving. thanks

the skunk2 item is not a tie rod, those are tie bars. Tie rods are the things that attact the steering rack to the knuckles and make it so you can turn.

Really, IMO rear tie bars are not really worth it. The ST rear sway bar would make your car handle alot better. You could go even bigger with something like the Progress rear swaybar.

As far as your current "coilovers" I am guessing that they are probally just a generic sleeved spring. Probally making your ride quality feel like ass. The sportline would be a good choice for springs.

What kind of tires do you have. Good tire help corning more then any of the above mods.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Jul 12 2004, 11:59 PM
the skunk2 item is not a tie rod, those are tie bars. Tie rods are the things that attact the steering rack to the knuckles and make it so you can turn.

Really, IMO rear tie bars are not really worth it. The ST rear sway bar would make your car handle alot better. You could go even bigger with something like the Progress rear swaybar.

As far as your current "coilovers" I am guessing that they are probally just a generic sleeved spring. Probally making your ride quality feel like ass. The sportline would be a good choice for springs.

What kind of tires do you have. Good tire help corning more then any of the above mods.

Oh ok, tie bars. I think those look good though from behind but wasnt sure how much they help. Tires on there now are stock steelies with yokohamas, not sure the model. Once the car gets goin i'm gonna be changing those anyways. What do you mean by "bigger" with the Progress?? How is it bigger or better??

Bigger sway bar = thicker torsion spring = stiffer = less understeer

this little equation is copied from Team integra.net

SurferX

The diameter of a sway bar determines it's stiffness. You can compare the stiffness of your stock sway bar to a bar you are thinking of purchasing by using a simple formula.

% stiffness compared to stock = (new diameter/stock diameter)^4

For example, if you have a GS-R with a 14mm rear sway bar and upgraded to a 22mm Type R rear sway bar you would calculate

(22/14)^4 = 6.10

Back