SWEET Grind - 33 kinks on a staircase rail!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

That stair case pisses me off.

Imagine for a moment, the life of that staircase:

One fine day someone is walking down a hill. They trip, and tumble down the length. They call up the building manager and declare it

"I have fallen down your hill"
"Really? Are you ok?"
"Yeah, I'm fine. Just sayin."
"Oh, well watch yourself next time"
"Sure thing. Hey, I'm going to sue you."
"Why, are you hurt?"
"Nope. Just want some money"

So some time goes on, and the courts or his bad court experience convinces the building manager to build a staircase to avoid having someone else fall. Thousands of dollars are dropped on that stair case.

But the stair case remains incomplete. Another person falls down the hill. Only this time, they chose the strip of staircase embedded in the hillside to plummet down. This time, they are hurt. OSHA is called in to require a handrail.

A Handrail is installed on the hill. But the hand rail is quickly torn down by the OSHA inspectorm because the rails themselves can not be closer than 32 inches to the ground, and not more than 36 inches from the ground. This hill is not a 45 degree angle, and requires some stairs to be longer than others. The handrail must be a custom bent, single pipe type of handrail that takes 4 welders and 4 pipe benders and a truck to deliver. Lunch is served to the workers.

Also, to avoid the pipe from getting too hot, it must be painted a neutral color in enamel paint with a primer layer underneath it.

A young couple are walking down the stairs, with the young lady on the left and the young man on the right. The young man stumbles down the staircase, either brought on by severe apathy or just being fuckin drunk and stoned. It's not fair to assume he's stoned or drunk, so we'll say he's apathetic.

Now a rail must be constructed of similar quality for the other side. Crews are brought in, trucks are driven from great distances. Lunch is served.

It's also getting painted, as is the first rail. It's now part of seasonal maintainance for the groundskeepers to paint the rails in a neutral color. The tips must be yellow to attract attention.

Local skateboarders come by and find the most awesome, hands-down fucking rail in existence. This rail is being posted on the internet and touted as such :

"lolz u gotto check out da nu rale by the l1brary"
"O nos way! shit man I be there lol"
"yo call cantone rofl"
"hellz ya he gonna luv dis"
"peace"

And then a crowd of illiterate teenagers gather around the stunning piece of work. They take their boards / skates / soap shoes / books and slide down the rail. Endless fun is to be had.

But now the builder manager, who twice has had the stupidest fucking injuries cost him a fortune says "Oh hell no. Not again" and dispatches the kids with some stern words. The rebellious kids laugh at him and throw sausages. A sign is posted:

"No skateboarding allowed"

The inline skaters come back:

"No Skating of any type allowed"

The soap shoe kids come back:

"No gay-ass footwear allowed on campus anywhere, subject to state fines and/or prison time"

But occasionally, despite the signs (Which have to be encased in plastic so that vandals don't hurt them selves on the sharp edges) are ignored, and a security guard is posted full time to watch over the rails and the stair case.

Look at the peaceful tranquility of that hillside. Look at how large it is. Now, gaze upon the staircase right smack-dab in the middle of it.

A picture can tell a thousand words :)

^ you've got to be kidding me. a rant about a staircase.

anyway that guys got talent. Like when I saw New Deals "useless wooden toys" and I can't remember who grinded a 100ft handrail

looks like a school in the background.... and thats probably a stair case down to the ball fields...

impressive grind though :)

Would've been more impressive on a board, the rollerblade look a bit easier. Not that I could ever grind a rail like that one, so I cant really talk shit.

Cool none the less :D

reikoshea said:
they are both pretty hard, but youre right, it is harder on a skateboard.
Skateboarding compared to rollerblading is retardedly difficult.

I don't know if when I was in my prime I could hit a rail like that, but I used to have no problem doing a long rail that had like 3 kinks and 15 stairs.

Once you get the rythm it really shouldn't be difficult to sustain the grind but if you throw in a trick like a royale or farfignuggen or whatever the fuck you kids call it now a days and you're off balance then its going to be insanely difficult.

I could grind on the skateboard, doing board slides on low boxes and medium rails and stuff, but a 50/50 grind was so damn difficult and I would have never been able to olley to that high of rail and then 50/50 it - and I see no way in hell to be able to board slide that rail without losing balance although I'm sure its possible

Skateboarding was my passion for a long while, but then I easily transitioned into blading - everything was easier there. Stepping up to the bike was an entirely different thing, i was alright at flatlanding but sucked at all other skatepark bike tricks.

when ever i could acctually get my board high enough, the dark slide was always easier once i actually HIT the rail. If i couldnt get that high.....bad things insued....thats why i dont skateboard anymore...bearings, wheels and decks sucked my money dry...then i got a car.....thats where my money goes now.

reikoshea said:
when ever i could acctually get my board high enough, the dark slide was always easier once i actually HIT the rail. If i couldnt get that high.....bad things insued....thats why i dont skateboard anymore...bearings, wheels and decks sucked my money dry...then i got a car.....thats where my money goes now.

I always skated funny. I skated goofy and regular, but there were certain tricks that were simple that I just couldn't do.

I don't think I ever actually landed a kickflip which was like everyone's dream around here, but I always did heel flips. Stupid pop shove its taunted me, but I could pull a 180 and eventually a 360 if I went to my backside. I wasn't able to pop shove it, but could blindside 180 onto a rail...

I was short and ollied as high as I could jump but that was still probably only ~24+ inches.

aww, poor guy. i loved skateboarding. how is a kick flip a dream? man me and kickflips and heelflips got close. then i stopped skating. the last trick i tried to learn was a 360 flip. Kinda like a handless varial. didnt exactly work very well....ended up on my face quite a few times. never got consistant with it.

reikoshea said:
aww, poor guy. i loved skateboarding. how is a kick flip a dream? man me and kickflips and heelflips got close. then i stopped skating. the last trick i tried to learn was a 360 flip. Kinda like a handless varial. didnt exactly work very well....ended up on my face quite a few times. never got consistant with it.

Kickflips were a dream because I could never ride into one, and ride out of one.

Heel flips were cake and I actually thought I was doing kick flips for the longest while. I always liked going backwards rather than forward.

Back