sychro issue?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

erikespo

So, I was driving to work yesterday in my '03 Si and thought it is a nice day and decided to test 1-3rd... Took 1st to 7700, quick shifted to 2nd, took 2nd to 7700 and quick shifted to 3rd. 3rd would not engage and just ground. I had to let the rpms go down 2000 or so before it would go in. After which I could not pull it into 4th. so i put it in 5th and went a few miles. Tired 4th again and it was difficult to pull in but it went.. after which 4th was fine.

I thought it might have just been bad timing on my part. but I attempted again on the way home and the same thing happened.

Before you guys start with "learn to shift" I'd like to say that I have never had a problem before with 3rd grinding. the most it did was crunch into 3rd.

I would have a honda dealer look at it but I just hit 36000 a week ago.

so you think some new tranny fluid would help?
gm syncromesh seems like the way to go.

Erik

Try the GM stuff- or you might try that high impact Redline Synthetic transmission fluid. They both do wonders. It definitely sounds like a synchronizer problem though.

Think about it- third gear is the gear that you shift in and out of the most. It's going to wear out first. Change the fluid and see what happens, then think about replacing the synchro. In the meantime, just make extra sure that you rev match every time you shift. That will help you get more life out of your synchros.

yeah i haven't learned this car enough to get it perfect..

in the 88 crx i had i didn't even need the clutch..

Quoted post[/post]]
Try the GM stuff- or you might try that high impact Redline Synthetic transmission fluid. They both do wonders. It definitely sounds like a synchronizer problem though.

Think about it- third gear is the gear that you shift in and out of the most. It's going to wear out first. Change the fluid and see what happens, then think about replacing the synchro. In the meantime, just make extra sure that you rev match every time you shift. That will help you get more life out of your synchros.

Doesn't 1 and 2 usually get better synchro's as well?

My 2 cents is to use the Redline. Use it in my Integra and it was a whole new tranny.

It depends on the transmission.... plus 1st gear usually does NOT have synchros. That's why it's hard to downshift into 1st, and that's why you usually rev match before you even try it.

3rd generally is the gear you shift through the most, especially in a Honda. Just take note of how you shift while you're driving. You'll go in and out of 3rd running at moderate speeds through traffic, but not nearly as much in 2nd.

Replaced the tranny fluid with pensoil syncromesh the other day.. Shifts are smoother but I still can't power shift into 3rd.. I can shift quickly into it now though

Back