Synapse Missing Link

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Turbo&Auto

Nick Go FAST!!
As you may or may not know, I'm just about ready to boost my F22. I only have a couple lil parts left to buy, one of them being something to block boost from the MAP sensor. I was going to go with the traditional "Black Box" method, but I was talking to my friend Jesse at turbokits.com and he was telling me about the Synapse product. It's pretty much a fancy check valve setup. I was just wondering how it works and if anyone has use it. I'm looking for any comments good/bad! TIA :)

map sensor bypasses and fmus, not matter who makes them, are the worst thing you can posibly run on a car.

What's your better suggestion? I'm trying to do everything cheap, this is my beater car. So far I built the turbo kit for under $500 total.

How much boost are you gonna run?

Just get a 3-bar from a junkyard.

its not a matter of having a 3-bar....
the oem map can read 10.65 psi at sea level. the problem is that the computer will throw a map code at 2 psi and pull timing like a sailor.

^Only problem with that is the loot!

I'm only planning on running 6psi. I just wanted a lil kick in power to have some fun with unsuspecting commuters on RTE80. I'm not going for a crazy race car or anything even close to that. Just some basic bolt-on fun!

alright, i got your answer right here....

DSM 450 cc are basically plug and play with your accord since you already have the resistor box...
those should be about 50 bucks?

fuel pump will run you about 100 ish

then you wanna run your stock map sensor, and have someone like xenocron socket your ecu on the cheap...
after its socketed you can run a concervative "base map", B makes em, or made em, and xenocron can do it too...

xenocron can burn you 3 diffrent chips, each a little more aggressive, you just need to make sure you don't run lean, and no predetonation...
wideband will set you back a couple bills, but its the only reliable way to watch your air/fuel ratios...
A/F meters are worthless...

you can usually find someone semi local to give you a decent tune burned on a chip...
the tricky part is finding someone that will do it for a reasonable price...

if you're going REAL low budget you can go the check valves for the aquarium, some DSM 450's, but you'll still need a walbro 255 lph high flow high pressure fuel pump and a FMU....

tuning is the best way to make sure your motor last and you;re getting all the power you should...

FMU + missing links/check valves will make it so you can drive the car, but you need to watch out for running lean which will smoke the motor, running rich can wash down the cylinder walls and destroy your motor, and you're definatly not going to be getting the power levels you should with an FMU setup...

Just some basic bolt-on fun!
this is the first time i ever heard of someone refering to turbo'ing a honda as basic bolt on fun
did you check out homemadeturbo.com yet?
lots of budget info...
whatcha using for oil feed?
your turbo is water cooled? or no?

Thanks for all the info!

I bought a GE sandwich adapter for oil feed, and it's also water cooled. I also bought a 12:1 FMU on here the other day really cheap. I have another set of gauges(I have a few turbo cars), Wideband, EGT and Boost. I plan on watching them like a hawk until I'm sure it's running ok. I figured with only 6psi I could get away with leaving the timing as is. I have an Intercooler for it too(had to add, some people ask).

The turbo I'm using is pretty small as far as turbos go. Its a DSM stock turbo. I was considering going to the DSM injectors like you said and getting an Emanage. I'm pretty familiar with it from tuning the Matrix with it. If I get the emanage, I would of course get the ignition harness and shoot for higher boost! I first want to get the setup running at 6psi daily, this is going to be my daily driver/beater car.

Quick question: Do you know of anyone with a 90-93 F22 turbo? I was looking at the engine bay today and it's going to be really close by that front motor mount. I was just wondering if anyone has some hints/tips for that. TIA!!

seriously, don't waste your time putting a 14b or t25 on an f22. its way too small. dsm turbos are for d-series.

sure, the dsm is 2.0 and you're motor is 2.2, but dsm motors have crap for VE, while honda's have a pretty good VE.

i wouldn't go any less than a straight t3 with a t3/t04b being ideal for a nice low-boost setup.

yeah, a T3-60 would go really well...so would a small hybrid. i wouldnt use the check valve or that 12:1 FMU....its just not safe IMO. If you can get your hands on a P72 or P28 cheap you could do some serious tuning with crome and ostrich. crome, ostrich, a wideband and an ECU will cost you $540 from xenocron. It is worth every peny.

I actually picked this turbo so i could have a running setup cheap right away and then swap out to a Big 16G down the road. I would only need to port the manifold a bit more to swap turbos.

I have a friend that had a 2.5RS(Subaru) with a Loyalle turbo on it. I could be wrong about where the turbo acutally came from, but it was an older Sube turbo. Anyway, his car was pretty damn quick. I was surprised at how it actually still had strong top end pull. AND, that motor is even bigger then the F22 and the turbo on his was even smaller then the 14B/T25.

I appreciate the suggestions for changing to different turbos and such, but I've already bought this stuff and did the work to make it mount easily. If I finish it up and the boost falls off like crazy, I'll switch out turbos right away. At least I'll already be piped though.

id suggest not wasting money on the over priced 16g , even if you can find one for 250 or under it wont work well.....

I was contemplating on running one on my b16, but after researching and talking to a few people i figured out that a honda motor flows so much better than the dsm 4g63 that it will just die up top. I actually asked jeff evans of evans tuning/boostedhybrid.com the same question and he said the same thing, it wont be able to hold the power all the way to redline and will just die off....

id say if you want to upgrade later get at least a .60/.63 t3 or find a used t3/t4

i got my garrett .60/.63 t3/t4 for 225 shipped, i was just patient and made the deal i wanted... and yes it is not a knock off, garrett m24 compressor housing with a turbonetics exhaust housing ill get some pics soon

gotta update my ongoing project thread :cool:

Quoted post[/post]]
I have a friend that had a 2.5RS(Subaru) with a Loyalle turbo on it. I could be wrong about where the turbo acutally came from, but it was an older Sube turbo. Anyway, his car was pretty damn quick. I was surprised at how it actually still had strong top end pull. AND, that motor is even bigger then the F22 and the turbo on his was even smaller then the 14B/T25.

AND suby's VE is much like a DSM.... and nissan too. they throw t25's on their sr20s...
honda builds a damn good motor.

I'm telling you, don't waste your time. ebay it. get something right the first time.

plug some numbers in here:
http://www.turbofast.com.au/TFcompB.html

you'll see what i mean.

near redline, a dohc vtec head has like 96-98% VE. you're non vtec head isn't too far behind.

and read this for more info about VE

http://www.epi-eng.com/ET-VolEff.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volumetric_efficiency

As for a missing link... They work. Is it what i suggest: NO but the missing links work and work good for what they are. As for the turbo...Everyone is correct, the stock T25,13B,14B etc... are way too small. you will regret installing it and want to take it back off in a heartbeat and then wish you hadnt wasted your time. Why do you think all DSM owners turn it up to 15-18 psi as fast as they can. Take for granted the 1G eclipses are 8:5 cr engines. But as for keeping your CEL off you can use a missing link or i have a electronic map sensor box from turbo specialties that tricks the oem map sensor from seeing boost. I have had it for about a year or so. Its never been used. If your interested let me know.

Back