1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sythentic Oil

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by ilikepie, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ilikepie

ilikepie Senior Member

I have an Integra ls with about 75k miles on it and i was going to start using sythentic oil. What weight and brand should i use? Or should I just stick to regular oil. Thanks

2. CRX_B16B

CRX_B16B Senior Member

if you beat on your engine alot synthetic is good cuz it resists heat and breaking down better then normal oil, just use the same oil weight as original, what ever brand really not to diff. from brand to brand I like valvoline.

3. h22bubbleback

h22bubbleback Senior Member

where you from..weather? is it ice cold? blistering hot?

4. D See 2

D See 2 Senior Member

all the mechanics 'round here swear by Mobil1 Fully Synthetic oil... but then again if you're running a stock LS w/stock tranny. there's really no point.

however, if you're running a tranny thats making you ride down the highway pulling 5K rpm, you might want to consider what your motor is going through. in those situations, i would suggest synthetic oil. other than that. conventional oils will be fine.

i really dont know what kind of tranny i have, but at 80 mph, i'm pulling 5200 rpm. which is why i run Mobil1 Fully Synthetic oil. 15w50, its a little bit heavier. but its mobil1's "performance formula" made to withstand high friction and high heat characteristics.

5. ilikepie

ilikepie Senior Member

I live right in the middle of missouri so right now its cold, in the summer its hot as hell usually. I mean i dont mind spending the extra money for synthetic, so if its better why not use it. Thanks

6. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

i would run a mix75% reg 25% syn

7. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

8. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

I have ran Mobil 1 once or twice and it made my car burn oil pretty quick. Before that oil change, my old d series would not burn a drop of oil from change to change. On this one, I would add a quart every 1-2k miles. I started reading up, and many honda owners had the same problem with Mobil one. Some said that when they switched to other synthedics, they stop burning as much oil.

Personally right now, I am just running Castrol GTX conventinal oil and a Purelator pure one filter

9. highperboi

highperboi Senior Member

im using castrol syntec 10-30 but i still burn alittle it depends how i drive i think if i dont race around at high rpm it doesnt burn but if im driving hard it burns.

10. SolPWR

SolPWR Senior Member

<--- same problem too :angry: i personally think its not worth the money unless your beating the shit out of your car like I do. 76 miles of highway at an average of 90mph(3.5rpm) high of 120mph(4.7rpm) everyday

11. Cashizslick

Cashizslick !i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!i!

I had my oil changed w/mobil one 5w30 - its good stuff.

12. Iquark

Iquark Senior Member

My understanding is that the synthetic oil will break down the carbon deposits in your engine, which is not good. If you have a higher mile engine, those deposits are keeping your rings from leaking, and therefore keeping you from burning oil. The way I understand it is that you should either start with a synthetic from or near the begining, or keep with the ol' petrol.

13. highperboi

highperboi Senior Member

there was another post on this and they said that that start with syntec or dont use it is BS. I have 100k miles and i used castrol gtx 10-30 and i still burned oil and now i use 10-30 syntec and i still burn oil...

14. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

same here... 10/30 syntec blend

mobil 1 is overrated and overpriced.

15. breed

breed Senior Member

I used mobile1 synthetic 15-50 performance oil really expensive at 5.45 but you like what you like.

16. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

15-50/? why?
    especailyl on an ITR.

the tolerences of honda motors are so damn close. thick oil simply cannot seep into the passages of some areas. there is NO reason to go above 10/40, even boosted.

17. breed

breed Senior Member

it was recomended by a local shop that's owned by a guy who races autocross and builds race motor so I took his advice.

18. dohch22a4

dohch22a4 Senior Member

I use Castrol full synthetic 5w30 and I burn a little bit. I have to add about a half a quart after about 1500 miles. It's good oil, though and is cheaper than Mobil 1.

19. ilikepie

ilikepie Senior Member

I use Castrol GTX 5w30 right now but I was going to switch to synthetic cause I guess its suppose to be better. I usually dont drive my car to hard but I do sometimes. Thanks for the advice everyone :)

20. HKSHatch

HKSHatch Junior Member

I use Mobil1 Synthetic 10w 30 in the hot Arizona heat and i love it, its more moeny but worth it, but once you use it you can never switch back to regular oil, i heard thats bad to do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted