T25 and 14b turbo setup questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

allmotord16rex

OK, I have a DOHC ZC and Im thinkin about doing the budget boost setup. I wanna use a t25 or 14b, preferably the 14b. Does anyone know what the wastegate is set at stock on the 14b? How do you lower this setting? My Honda Tuning says to bend the actuator towards the turbo .25 inches, but I dont exactly understand what this means. Finally, these turbos are water and oil cooled, so do you necessarily have to implement the water cooling? Thanks for the help.

Stock boost on the TD05H-14B from 1G DSMs is 8 psi I believe.

Cooling- almost all factory turbochargers are water cooled and oil cooled. You run the oil through the bearing in the center, and the water is the same that cools your engine. With the water cooling, you eliminate the need for a turbo timer, and you reduce the chances of coking the oil from running hard and then shutting down the car without an extended cool down period. I would definitely hook up the water lines if you can- otherwise buy a turbo timer.

Bending the actuator allows you to change the boost level that the wastegate opens at- I don't know if bending it a quarter inch reduces max boost or increases it though, and I definitely don't know by how much.

Thanks Cal. 8 psi is what I want to run anyway so that will be good. The 14b is a much more efficient turbo so I think that I will probably go with it. Are there any key differences between using the 14b and t25, especially pertaining to difficulty? Thanks again guys.

I really don't know about difference in "difficulty", but they do use two different types of flanges. You'll want to make sure you have the proper exhaust manifold setup to connect to whichever turbo you want to use.

The 14B is larger than the T25, so you'll get a more efficient charge (cooler temp) on your DOHC ZC at higher boost levels. It's also dirt cheap- you should be able to snag one for about $100 or less in decent condition.

yeah, the manifoldis the hardest part, since therees few made for it.

if it were me, i'd cut up an HF manifold (with the cat up high) and weld the 14b flange on to it. nice and cheap

Yeah, I plan on using an HF manifold and an adapter plate with the 14b. When you say I need the proper exhaust manifold setup, is this what you are talking about Calesta?

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Just make sure you have the right flange so your manifold will bolt up to your turbo.

The plates that I see are usually for both the t25 and 14b. I think that if you use a 14b with that plate, you can only use 3 of the 4 holes to bolt them together. I've seen some people simply weld that part of the plate to the turbo. Any one else ever seen anything about this?

i don't mean to threadjack, but is the adapter plate for a t28 the same? i just got mine, and i'm looking for an adapter plate. aalso, anyone know where to find them?

Calesta, maybe you can help me out on this. Do you know what the wastegate is set at on the Garret T3 turbos from the Volvo and from the Saabs. Thanks.

Originally posted by Seany-izzle+Sep 20 2004, 04:39 PM-->
would a t25 adaptor plate work??
[post=392624]Quoted post[/post]​

no.

Originally posted by allmotord16rex@Sep 20 2004, 05:02 PM
The plates that I see are usually for both the t25 and 14b. I think that if you use a 14b with that plate, you can only use 3 of the 4 holes to bolt them together. I've seen some people simply weld that part of the plate to the turbo. Any one else ever seen anything about this?
[post=392631]Quoted post[/post]​

those are bogus. t25 and 14bs use a different flange.

Originally posted by Callidus@Sep 20 2004, 06:18 PM
i don't mean to threadjack, but is the adapter plate for a t28 the same? i just got mine, and i'm looking for an adapter plate. aalso, anyone know where to find them?
[post=392651]Quoted post[/post]​

90% of t25 and t28 share a flange. a t28 is really a t25 with a differnt compressor or something.. im not 100% sure.

allmotord16rex
@Sep 20 2004, 10:18 PM
Calesta, maybe you can help me out on this. Do you know what the wastegate is set at on the Garret T3 turbos from the Volvo and from the Saabs. Thanks.
[post=392762]Quoted post[/post]​

im sure they are all different and will vary by car, but most factory cars run 6-10 psi.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Sep 20 2004, 10:23 PM-->
allmotord16rex
@Sep 20 2004, 10:18 PM
[post=392762]Quoted post[/post]​

im sure they are all different and will vary by car, but most factory cars run 6-10 psi.
[post=392798]Quoted post[/post]​

Yup, I don't know what the wastegates are set at on other factory turbos. I just know the DSM turbo specs because I've been looking through DSM turbo maps and DSM turbo info. Don't ask why.

:p :) :) :)

Back