Tablet for Old Lady's Bday thread

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

reckedracing

TTIWWOP
VIP
so my OL has a bday coming up in a little less than a month.
She had expressed some liking to an iPad that someone in her family has, she likes the convenience and ease of use etc.
I was thinking about getting her some sort of Tablet.
It needs to have wifi and all it would be used for really is watching youtube videos on make up.
I was hoping I could get something that wasn't a piece of shit in the $200 range.
Any recommendations? Budget too low to get anything that won't be completely useless and outdated in 6 months?

in the $200 range your looking at the Nexus 7 or the Kindle Fire HD

nexus 7 i going to be the best bet for that price. plenty of speed and it will get new updates right away for quite some time

i would agree on the Nexus 7. It has a quad-core A9 processor. Sure quad core isnt even close to being fully utilized, but its there and power usage over a dual-core is negligible because of the ability to turn them off when not in use.

also, unlike the Kindle Fire, its not tied to a specific OS. meaning you need to root the device to install google play and such. without searching, im sure both device has equal homebrew support, probably even more so for the Nexus since it runs more open source code.

i have the hp touchpad, and unless you can get it for $100 or close, its not worth it over the Nexus or Fire. Its older hardware, not officially supported by anyone, battery life isnt all that great running Android, and its much heavier. Plus no camera either unless you run the defunct webOS.

Back