Tach and idel.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Alpine

Ever since I got my car the tach didn't read right. But during winter it read fine till about 4k rpm. It runs fine most of the time, but sometimes it sticks at about 2k. It may sound odd, but it only messes up at on hot days.

Also I had the car for a few months and the throttle cable snaped. After I replaced it, the idel droped to about 100 rpm. Everytime I set it higher its fine for a week or two, then it drops back down to about 100. I've done it a few times and the only thing I can think of is that the cable is stretching.

tps sensor is probably bad... therefore the idle drops cause it's reading incorrectly... it may be the ICV too, if it has one. as for the tach... it's shot. go get a new one.

Thats been driving me insane for a long time, thanks man. Do you think I should just mount an aftermarket tach infront of the old one?

yeah... i do it. i got one of those big ones. works good...

I was thinking of getting a big one with a shift light. I don't know why, just kind of want to.

Tach problems can also be a problem at the distributor or the wiring leading to the dash.
true... i didn't think of that... then what i'd do is go and get a new sending unit at a junkyard... it might cost you like 5 bucks, that's if he doesn't just give it to you. but try that if you don't want to go get an aftermarket tach.

Back