tach juming on teg

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

delsol_racer

so i have i 94 teg b18b1 just bought it a couple months ago and i replcaed the cap and rotor and plugs just the mantiance crap. and every once and a while the tach will jump back and fourth like i was driving above 3000rpm bout 35 and it would jump to 4 and back down a few times but below 3000 it would be cool then i jumped on it to see if it would jump when i did that and it didnt.
any ideas? i have an o2 sensor im putting into it towmarrow and the thermostat, just not sure where to start with the tach if i shopuld check dizzy wires or i read somethign bout the alternator but i have a system and my light never go dim.
thanks

sounds like either the tach itself might be going bad, something in the wiring, or a bad cam/crank sensor.

i have a thermostat i still need to change and a o2 sensor will that help at all. i also noticed that when im driving and its warming up it idles at 15-2300 rpm and i know 15 is tha fast idle but it will do that the whole time im driving unless i jump on it and drive it hard for a couple mins and it will idle bout 500 to 750

It's normal to have a high idle until it warms up. If it warms up and you still have one, it could be a problem.

now its getting wrose it jumps a lot and the motor sounds like its missing when it jumps. also i changer the thermostat and when the housing touched ground (the key was on listing to music) it made a clicking noise like starter solinoed but a lot quiter? not sure what that means shourt maybe?

For some stupid reason....I always think of the distributor when a tach is jumping. If you changed cap and rotor....see if you can use someone's OBD1 LS dizzy to check.

thats what i was thinkg bout. i pulled my cap yesterday and most of the wires look burnt like i need a new harness for the dizzy or something none of the wires are touching expect ones that are going to a little black box knowing my luck thats for the tach, you think that why when i jump on it i smell gas like its running rich anyone know where i can get a harness for the dizzy all the local junk yards with in a bout 50 miles if i get lucky and find a teg there is nothing under the hood,

I have the same problem right now, I really think its the dizzy.

ya but the wires are like burnt and stripped ima change my dizzy just have to find one been looking for the last 30 mins dont really want to spend 160 on it.

Wouldn't hurt but burnt wire makes me think OP has sometihgn going on with his Dizzy and maybe event the wiring.....burnt wires FTL

kinda i went ahead and pulled the dizzy apart and found bunch of burnt wires and they were twisted all together so i reparied all the wires as a temporay fix before i spent money on a new dizzy, and droped it and it fell pretty hard and slightly bent the dizzy shaft. i still put it together and the idle prolbem was fixed just ran like shit more due to the bent shaft so im now gonna get a new dizzy.

so i got a used dizzy that parts were taken off and put them together and my jumping prolbem went away and seems like it is running better i did throw a cel and it said 8 with has something to do with tdc sensor i know i threw it a few weeks ago not sure what too look into cuz when i turn the car off and back on its gone any ideas?

this issue may be signs of problems in your disributor. ive seen this in accords and civics. the cause is worn bearings or bad wiring in the distributor. however there is usually an engine faut code that comes with this. do you have a fault code?

Back