Tach Signal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

Im looking for a RPM output from the ecu, but i cant seem to find it, theres not exactly a "rpm output to tach" slot on the pin outs, in the reference section....

so, my question is, which pin is the out put?

and, does the signal from the distributor go to the ecu, then the tach, or just straight to the tach?

Originally posted by ChrisSiR@Jun 10 2004, 03:10 PM
Im looking for a RPM output from the ecu, but i cant seem to find it, theres not exactly a "rpm output to tach" slot on the pin outs, in the reference section....

so, my question is, which pin is the out put?

and, does the signal from the distributor go to the ecu, then the tach, or just straight to the tach?

I'm not sure on the routing, but I'd guess that the wire goes to the ECU first. Just a guess.

What I do know is that you tap into the tach wire at the distributor. It's probably the simplest solution. On my car I believe it was a blue wire.

Taken straight from the autometer site:

On most of these engines, you can go to the blue wire that comes out of the distributor, or on late models you may need to go to the yellow wire with green stripe at the ICM (Ignition Control Module), which is next to the distributor. Also, there may be a diagnostic plug in the corner of the driver's side engine bay where the fender and firewall meet, and this plug will have a blue wire you can splice the green into.

Well, the blue wire on the dist. doesnt work (im installing a MSD window switch BTW), and i cant seem to find the diagnostic plug, it just wont pick up ANY kind of signal....idea's?

Back