Tachometers

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
Does anyone know if there's anyone who makes a small tach that will mount on the steering wheel column. I'm not a fan of tachometers that stick into my field of view, it seems ricey in my opinion. I actually want to custom stick a custom tachometer in place of the stock one, but has anyone done this or know where I could buy one of the smaller ones? My tach needs go go to 10k. Thanks

Originally posted by Hatchbacks Anonymous@Mar 4 2004, 01:50 PM
I hate little tachs. They look cheap.

I really dont think he was asking you if you like (or dislike) little tachs. Oh ya try cyberdyne or autometer??? :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about 4' round somthing that you can fit nicley on the colum

i found a 3.5' tach on ebay for 50 bucks used from a guy selling of his equip

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Mar 3 2004, 01:25 PM
Does anyone know if there's anyone who makes a small tach that will mount on the steering wheel column. I'm not a fan of tachometers that stick into my field of view, it seems ricey in my opinion. I actually want to custom stick a custom tachometer in place of the stock one, but has anyone done this or know where I could buy one of the smaller ones? My tach needs go go to 10k. Thanks

I just bought reverse indiglos that go up to 10k... they use the same spacing around the rev circle of the stock tach, so theoretically- if the stock tachometer was truly accurate, it would show 10k on the new gauges. My stock tach is dead on accurate at 8k, so it might be true at 10k also- who knows.

Do what I did- wire up an Apex'i RSM directly to your ECU, mount it somewhere nice and stealthy, then use it to track the REAL speed of your engine, not some mechanical interpretation of it. Keep the 10k gauges to look cool.

:lol:

Oh yeah- shove the G meter somewhere under your dash, then go play in the twisties. It's FUN.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Calesta@Mar 4 2004, 05:00 PM
I just bought reverse indiglos that go up to 10k... they use the same spacing around the rev circle of the stock tach, so theoretically- if the stock tachometer was truly accurate, it would show 10k on the new gauges. My stock tach is dead on accurate at 8k, so it might be true at 10k also- who knows.

Do what I did- wire up an Apex'i RSM directly to your ECU, mount it somewhere nice and stealthy, then use it to track the REAL speed of your engine, not some mechanical interpretation of it. Keep the 10k gauges to look cool.

:lol:

Oh yeah- shove the G meter somewhere under your dash, then go play in the twisties. It's FUN.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mike, I have regular indiglos that are just like stock, I though t I would like reverse indiglos at first, but Idrove a car with them installed and they were hard to see, I dunno, maybe they just had crappy ones. Anyway, thanks everyone for the replies. I check further into it. The main reason I don't want one of those huge ones is because I don't want everyone in town trying to race me once Iget my motor in the car, plus I can barely handle the rear view mirror blocking my view thru the windshield, let alone some humongous tach sitting there. I might get a shiftlight, but thats about it.

ps: me knows twisties is fun!

You're welcome. :)

Look on ProCarParts- they have gauge faces that run all the way to 10k for a few different applications. I don't remember which car you have- but mine's a 95, so I know there's definitely a few different ones for that body style Civic.

As for visibility- I don't have any problems seeing my gauges. They're pretty bright, and it's only the numbers and hash marks that are lit (I disabled all other lighting in cluster), so it's really easy to see at night.

Back