Taco's Crx type R build

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

dont do it :lol:

I really like this CRX but the fact that no matter what i do to it it's still gonna be a 91 Honda.
This will most likely be the last one I own simply because I guess I've grown up :/

I'll prolly want to dump my money into a muscle car or newer 2002+ car that can still bring some value.

Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna finish it, as a matter of fact I'm headed to the tag office to register it today :)

I really like this CRX but the fact that no matter what i do to it it's still gonna be a 91 Honda.
This will most likely be the last one I own simply because I guess I've grown up :/

I'll prolly want to dump my money into a muscle car or newer 2002+ car that can still bring some value.

Don't get me wrong I'm still gonna finish it, as a matter of fact I'm headed to the tag office to register it today :)
The deal with one of these '91 vintage rides is if you build it, keep it and drive it.

That's what I explained to my dad a few weeks ago - told him I put $4k in a an engine for my hatch last year. He naturally said, gee you could have bought another car for that. I said, I could have bought another car for 1/2 that, and in fact only paid $2200 when I bought the hatch back in 2002.

Then I went on to explain, but I have totally rebuilt the shell, including tranny less than 2 years ago. With the fully rebuilt roller, I now have a fully rebuilt car. Yes, resale isn't good on them - I didn't rebuild it to resell it. I built it to drive it.

Another $4k in the one I have and I have a fully updated roller with a new engine. Should be good for another 100k miles. Polyurethane bushings, full brake job with flex lines too, hoses, radiator, struts, bearings, full exhaust, alternator, 2 row aluminum radiator, Hayden fan, tower braces, optima battery, 160a alternator, wiring, 500w stereo, everything.

And now, I'm going to drive it.

yeah Bakerboy put it on and I havent scraped it off yet.
The plan for this car changed ever since I got my WRX but rest assured I'm gonna finish it. It's getting tuned this weekend to hopefully make it to an autocross event that Sunday.

Anyone have ideas on a small...and I mean SMALL yet thick radiator to install? Right now the normal half sized radiator is sideways to move away from the header.

Hey, I've almost got a decade on you- but I still play with my Hondas. :) But I also have a few J blocks to build, a truck to turbo, and a micro-van to turbo. :D :D :D

Hey, I've almost got a decade on you- but I still play with my Hondas. :) But I also have a few J blocks to build, a truck to turbo, and a micro-van to turbo. :D :D :D
And I got almost 2.5 decades on you, just getting into playing with Honda's! :) Ride a HotRod mini-bike and generally still know how to have fun on any given day. Do like winding my hatch up to 8 grand every now and then......

So Taco, cut the I'm outgrowing this "Car Thing" line of shit! I hope you never do. Putting kids through school is one thing, but don't grow up brother. :)

Last edited:
after all of the headaches and pain in the neck issues i still wasnt satisfies with the harness. I decided to give it yet another crack at it and split the harness in 3 routes inside the engine bay.

As you can see in the pics the injectors, IAT and Alternator plug are on one side. It's not done yet but you get the idea..
IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0796.jpg

The IAT, VTS, MAP, TPS and smaller sensors are going to the drivers side hole under the wiper motor.

As you can see I've used a roll of heat shrink to cover the wires and the larger bundles where they meet will have the intertwined loomed for better flexibilty.
IMG_0801.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

the cars ran and I got it tuned on Chrome. It pulls pretty good but do need to finalize the exhaust and radiator issue.

ive got the plans but no time. :(

under the dash is where I really need to pay attention.
there was ALOT of slack so I'm shortening and soldering those wires for an easier tuck of the fuse box.
IMG_0802.jpg

I took these pics at 10:30 at night with my damn lamp resting inside the car and hood.
Finally I'm motivatied enough to withstand the cold, dirt and hunger to get this thing done!

Are you wrapping with convoluted tubing or split loom before the tape job? Electrical tape by itself will deteriorate too fast and won't provide anywhere near the insulation from heat and mechanical protection of the plastic tubing. If you already taped them up, just find a size that fits over it and go for it. :) Then they'll hold up just like factory wiring harness'.

Wiring%20A5.jpg

Last edited:
nope. I'm using shrink wrap in the conecting ends and then using this stuff.
That tubing to me looks cheap so I'm using braided loom. however I am going to use those clips in your pic to direct the loom. man those things are awesome.
13679lg.jpg

Yeah, the rubber lined stainless steel clamps are very good. They are used in aircraft wiring and tubing installations.

Be sure and tape over the top of the panty hose on your harness. Double wrap with tape - down and back to make a criss cross pattern on top.

The Panty Hose (mesh) is fine. The convoluted is a little better for temperature insulation. What you're doing looks real good. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back