1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taft high School shooting

Discussion in 'Members' Lounge' started by corvetteguy78, Jan 10, 2013.

1. corvetteguy78

corvetteguy78 Well-Known Member VIP

2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage YEEAAAHHH VIP

love the comments...

3. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

thats hardcore...

this is their fucking shooter plan???
    everyone huddle together in a small area...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  4. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

This would never happen in a state with tough gun control laws... oh... wait.

5. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

:withstupid: That part may help. lol

6. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator VIP

This high school is about 30 minutes from me

7. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

If the news would stop with the shock and awe coverage of every single shooting, we'd probably see a lull in the actual number of shootings too.

8. eg6sir

The teacher wasnt denied medical treatment... she declined it

9. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

I think that's what recked meant.

10. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) VIP

And it was unrelated to the shooting they said. lol

11. eg6sir

Apparently the kid sent to the hospital was a bully and the kid wielding the shotgun was the one who was bullied

12. 92stoccord

92stoccord Big Member VIP

I got the mental image of her picking buckshot out of her arm then sterilizing it with a bottle of alcohol like a god damn man.

13. Matts96HB

Matts96HB . Moderator VIP

I got the image of her looking at the area where she'd been shot and saying "That'll buff right out"

14. totalburnout

totalburnout Well-Known Member VIP

What the happened to buying a pair of brass knuckles or putting a roll of pennies in your hand then clocking someone? Sucker punch them if you're athletically challenged and they're bigger. Heck, if you're going to get all crazy, bring in your tube sock with quarters and hit him with your make shift flap jack... but a gun, really? This is the mindset we've instilled in our youth? We've given our youth such a large sense entitlement after they have faced adversity (a bully, teasing, not popular, not social, not athletic, etc) in their life?

Shoot the parents, too.

15. |Chaz|

|Chaz| Well-Known Member VIP

So no one noticed him walking around with a shotgun? Have any of you seen the article on the revolving doors that are being worked on? Basically if you have a weapon and you enter, the doors look up and contain you. To me, this is a logical solution for "soft target" areas. Telling someone they can't do something doesn't work. Either meet fire power with fire power. Or utilize something like these doors that incorporate a metal detector. Its basically a revolving door that only permits one person through at a time so you incorporate a few of them. From what I've seen traffic flows pretty well through them.

16. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

Spot on. There is a lot that we can do right now to harden schools and not make them look like prisons. But our countries current administration decided to use the "Child Safety" focus group to drum up ideas on restricting law abiding citizens rights that's it. Nothing else seems to have been discussed.

It blows my mind that at my sons school all I have to do is walk in the front door and I can walk anywhere I please. But you know what the real issue is, us. The people of this country are not willing to commit to any real change. We could have our schools retrofitted in a matter of months but we will not open our pocketbooks to implement any meaningful change.

17. BigJ

BigJ I'm just about that action Boss. VIP

Fuck that. I'm 100% opposed to more rules and regulations. No one should feel unsafe at school and the minute you start with metal detectors, other non-sense you're instilling and buying into it. It's the patriot act at its finest. Last thing we need is a bunch of fucking TSA types at schools. FUCK THAT.

You know what we should do? BE better parents, neighbors, friends, co-workers, and colleagues. Have a sense of values regardless of race, religion, color, sex, creed. When people have these feelings that they want to lash out, we as a society should have systems in place to HELP them before its too late.

18. SlushboxTeggy

SlushboxTeggy It's only stupid if it doesn't work VIP

I think kids don't even realize the damage they can cause. First, and only, time I used a dirty jersey, the kid hit the ground like Pacquiao. I realized how dangerous it was, and only used my fists after that.

But I do believe that kids need social and academic adversity. It teaches you how to deal with problems. Whether they be people or work projects. This "it's OK to fail" BS is creating kids that quit and don't deal with their problems correctly.
    I love the concept, but only schools wouldn't be able to incorporate that at every entrance. Most of the schools in my town have doors outside in every classroom. Can't exactly weld them shut. Hell, the fire marshal would probably lose his shit if they were locked. And in the hot months, those doors are propped open because there is no AC.
    I think you're the only one. You have to be buzzed in to get in the front door of any school I've been to in the last 5 years. Some even have armed guards in the rougher areas. But like I said above, there are other ways in usually.
    I don't think extra protection falls into the same category as taking citizens guns away. Could it get out of hand? Hell yes. We don't need TSA patting down 5 year olds. But most schools, including the one my mother works at, is extremely ill prepared for a dangerous situation. I'm not talking bars on the windows, but I think a few extra preparations couldn't hurt.
    I agree 100%. But what we discussed above is simply how to deal with the current situation until those programs and society as a whole gets it together. It won't be implemented overnight.

19. chestercheeto48

chestercheeto48 Senior Member VIP

The "it's ok to fail" is not/and SHOULD NOT be the same is letting them quit. I have plenty of students who fail in my classes on projects left and right but I never let them quit. They are stronger for it in the long run as they learn that not every idea works and not everyone wins. But guess what you can still reach your goals you may just have to alter your approach or work a little harder - you know good life skills.

The problem today is that everyone either wins a ribbon, prize, award, etc or nobody keeps score to begin with. It starts at the beginning of every childhood activity. Whether it is not keeping score at T-ball or every 4 year old wrestler getting a "participation" ribbon just so they feel good.

I swear the current generation of parents (80's kids) and their kids (generation I'm perfect in every way) are going to screw us in the end.

20. Drake

Drake Well-Known Member VIP

I completely agree with your second point.

As to the first point, I am not advocating for TSA or even metal detectors in schools. What I am advocating for is reinforced doors with steal strike plates in the frame, shatter resistant glass and the ability to lock down a school in segments. We require fire suppression in all schools, why not harden access points? Think foreign embassy versus prison.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted