tail light removal

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

92CHB

I just spun out today and preceeded to clip someone with my rear corner :angry: Fucking rain storms, and for once i was driving the speed limit and this happend. Now my question is how does one remove the rear corner lenses on a 92 hatch? does the interior trim pannel need to be removed? I'll post pics sometime soon to show my fuck up. also how hard is it to remove the rear quarter pannel? Sorry for so many questions but i want to get this fixed quickly. Thanks!

quater panel? you don't have to remove the rear quarter panel. Good luck trying that.

You have to open your trunk, anything in the way of the tail lights has to be pulled out/moved aside. Then with a socket and ractchet (probally either a ten or an 8) undo the bolts. Finally, disconnect everything, then they slide right out.

Originally posted by 92CHB+May 24 2004, 10:12 PM-->
@May 24 2004, 07:55 PM
https://hondaswap.com/~mike/tails/

Should be similar... that's on my 95 sedan.

Thanks. Now how about that rear quarter panel how does one remove it?? or do i just have to follow the caulk line and cut it off?

I don't know about the hatch... but you really should have this information in your user's manual. The bulbs are supposed to be replaced by the owner, not some shop- the lights should be really easy to access. Honda designs their stuff to be pretty intuitive. Just start lightly tugging at plastic panels, and you'll see where they come apart.

Originally posted by Calesta+May 24 2004, 10:31 PM-->
Originally posted by 92CHB@May 24 2004, 10:12 PM
Calesta
@May 24 2004, 07:55 PM
https://hondaswap.com/~mike/tails/

Should be similar... that's on my 95 sedan.

Thanks. Now how about that rear quarter panel how does one remove it?? or do i just have to follow the caulk line and cut it off?

I don't know about the hatch... but you really should have this information in your user's manual. The bulbs are supposed to be replaced by the owner, not some shop- the lights should be really easy to access. Honda designs their stuff to be pretty intuitive. Just start lightly tugging at plastic panels, and you'll see where they come apart.

I am sorry i should have been more clear i ment the tail light assembly not just the bulbs, But i think i figured it out. Yea since i just got my drivers side rear corner crunched pretty good i now need to replace the rear quarter/body panel along with the panel that is part of your tire well. I am trying to get prices on the body parts online but they all need the oem part #'s and I called all the honda dealership parts departments in my arearand they won't give me the part numbers, does anyone know of a website that i can get the oem part numbers?

Do you do bodywork? Have you ever done body work? ok nevermind those last 2 questions im just going to assume something here. Due to the fact that you had to ask how to replace the taillight i am going to go ahead and tell you that you cannot successfully change the quarterpanel on your car. to do so requires much skill and autobody experience. also the rear glass must be removed the hatch must be removed and you have to drill all the spot welds out. if you think you capable of doing this than by all means go for it and ill answer what i can for u but i just dont see as its gonna be something you want to try and do. Not to mention it requires ALOT of tools to do it

Originally posted by driver1@Jun 7 2004, 09:10 PM
Do you do bodywork? Have you ever done body work? ok nevermind those last 2 questions im just going to assume something here. Due to the fact that you had to ask how to replace the taillight i am going to go ahead and tell you that you cannot successfully change the quarterpanel on your car. to do so requires much skill and autobody experience. also the rear glass must be removed the hatch must be removed and you have to drill all the spot welds out. if you think you capable of doing this than by all means go for it and ill answer what i can for u but i just dont see as its gonna be something you want to try and do. Not to mention it requires ALOT of tools to do it

As always, :concur: with driver. Dont even attempt to take your quarter panel off unless you have a shitload of auto body experiance. Try http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for part numbers and pictorals.

I'll get pics up hopefully tonight my friends digital camera is messed up and only takes good pics at night, so hopefully he is around tonight. :unsure: But now i am just trying to get anything i can done to the back corner of the car to make it easier and hopefully cheaper for an auto body shop to do it. But i will definitely get pics up soon and in comparison to other accidnets i have seen the damage is not that bad.

so i can only get the pix to come out good at night but here they are
s40cbb580a3943.jpg

s40cbb57835b72.jpg

s40cbb56c5cc86.jpg

s40cbb553b71c9.jpg

s40cbb50881672.jpg

the bumper and bumper beam are off the car and i got a corner light from a junk yard, since the the original is quit busted. in the pix the rusted out spots are from where i was working on getting rid of them till the accident occured so now it look like a whole new panel is needed and probably the wheel house. i am planning on taking a half day from work and going to local body shops to get a price and hopefully it isn't too high :(

Yeah it looks like there going to have to replace your quarter. Although your wheelhouse looks like it should be fine. Im guessing it'll cost you around $1,000. Good luck.

Originally posted by driver1@Jun 14 2004, 05:57 PM
ya most large shops are gonna charge around 1200- 1500 to put a qaurter on with paint and labor

thats kinda what i figured but i wanna do as much as i can for them to make it cheaper ,hopefully. Is there any prep work i could do before i give it to them?
I am going tomorrow to get estimates.
Thanks

not really the only thing you could to really is remove the hatch and the quarter glass. also if you looak the that seam you can see in the pic behind where the bumper cover would be you need to drill out all of the spot wlds to remove it so if you stripped the seam sealer off for them it would save them some time buthats about it.( seam sealer hides the spot weldsso you must strip it to see them and drill them)

Well after going to some local autobody shops this is what i got:

Shop 1: Great local business, went to school with the owners son and he was very personable. Told me that he can easily save the pannel and that he can have his guys fab up a piece of metal to fix the missing metal from the rust. He didn't want to give me an estimate to steer me in any wrong direction. He said for $100-$150 he can get his guys to pull the pannel back into shape and then he will give me an exact price from then on. He explained everything he was gonna do after the rough fixing(ie: sandblasting any bit of the rust the extent of the painting and buffing, etc.) and the owner understood that i am a college student that didn't have collision on his car :( he also understands i want the job done right.

Shop 2: Guy seemed like he could care less that i was there and told me $850.

Shop 3: Guy was really quite looked over that damage and told me he could do it for $600 max

So as it stands now i am thinking that i am gonna go to shop 1 and have them do that preliminary work and then get a price. If it is still pretty low to finish the job i'll go with him and if not i'll go and see what shop 3 could do for me.

So any of your thoughts are welcome all of these places are well know in my area for doing great business and are very reliable.

Thanks for any input! :worthy:

Back